So what do you do for a living?

M’Lady @eric.kiser .
She was a fantastic boss who is unfortunately no longer with us.
It was a very different lifestyle but I feel that I was very privileged to have spent my time on the estate.
My Head Keeper was one in a million. His guidance made me who I am today.

And as for the firefighting, this is something I just feel I should be doing especially as we live so rural.
Very full on , frightening and yet exciting.
Was out again yesterday but only a small fire ( 300 acres grass fire)

10 Likes

Currently Senior Software Engineer. Been programming for well over 35 years now.

16 Likes

Journeyman electrician. Multi-craft electro-mechanical maintenance technician.
So, what do i actually do? I hit things with hammers and occasionally fix things.

17 Likes

I am an audio, video and control systems engineer for fixed installations. I currently work for AVI-SPL, a very large AV systems design/build company. Much of my work in recent years has been on Atmos critical listening rooms for media streaming and gaming companies to evaluate technologies and content (all names you know).

The work seems to run in clusters. For a few years I was designing mainly security operations centers with the large mission control style videowalls across the front for contextual awareness and information display. That technology just amazes me how far it’s gone. It’s taking in news reports from all the areas where a company has employees and is integrated to their travel booking system. If someone is headed toward a problem, for example, an alert pops up on the videowall map. It’s just like spy movie stuff. My job is to figure out how to collect and manage the routing of all these server displays into the wall. Operators at workstations are viewing the overall wall, but they are dealing with specific events and may need to share their deep dive with the larger room, so there has to be some user friendly method of getting their workstation mirrored up to a window on the wall, without obscuring other critical feeds, etc.

For a couple years I lived in Hannover, Germany working for Sennheiser as a product manager leading the new product concept design team.

Most of my career, however, has been spent on theme parks, cruise ships and entertainment production facilities. I’m a former Imagineer and continued to contract as a consultant to the mouse for many years. I lived in Tokyo for the opening commissioning of Tokyo Disney Sea, lived in Paris for the opening commissioning of Disney Studios Paris. I was technical director of parkwide entertainment systems including parades, atmosphere talent and fireworks for the design of the Hong Kong Disney Resort and lived there through opening day. I was asked back to also be technical director for the design of Shanghai Disney parkwide systems, but for the first time didn’t relocate in favor of being home for family. That was when I chose to end my world career travels and started working on different applications.

I have an engineering degree from Purdue in interdisciplinary studies, focusing on electrical engineering and theatre sound design. This summer I’m going to be back at Purdue teaching a workshop on the Interpersonal Relationship Between Engineers and Artists.

24 Likes

Retired Systems Engineer in Geospatial Intelligence.

Started as a Cartographer nearly 40 years ago.

17 Likes

Currently, I am a Service Level Manager (Account Manager) for an IT Managed Service Provider (MSP).

Prior to that I was an IT Manager for a Healthcare organization for 18 years after being a senior field engineer for years before that.

Nice to see fellow IT folks on the forum! :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I am a software consultant in the process manufacturing and warehouse management space. Basically my company VARs some MRP and WMS software, I do installations, configurations, and support for those packages, and I also write custom MRP and WMS software add-ons and middleware for those packages.

…truth be told, for the past two years, I’ve done very little of the former. 90% of my work has been software development.

18 Likes

I am a brainwashing Government lackey

18 Likes

:joy:

6 Likes

Worked as a nurse 2009-2022, 9 years of that in Dept of Veterans Affairs.

Healtchcare was burning me out for a lot fo reasons, so i wanted to use my knowledge and skills in a more supportive role, last February I took a position as Facilities Manager for a contractor that operates VA clinics, I manage facilties needs for their Eastern Region (10 clinics and counting around NY and PA). Sweet gig working remotely, get to travel around semi regularly. Still work occasionally in local clinic to keep license active.

17 Likes

Wow, those are some really cool jobs and life paths!
Bass people are cool people.

My path is a bit more boring…
Was in the military for 4 years (compulsory service back home), then did too many years in university studying cell biology.

When I finally realised that research is not a good fit with my ADHD temperament I went back to college and became a paramedic, which is what I do now.

Like the others here from the healthcare field, it is taking it’s toll.
Been thinking a lot about what I can move into next, but I always end up with hating the idea of a hierarchical office job (I love the freedom of being in the front line, where the SOPs can be bent as needed), and I absolutely love the contact with the patients, so I keep slugging it.

Plus, how many people can practice bass while they are actually at their workplace? This is how I spend the time between calls!

15 Likes

Percussive maintenance. Tappy-tap-tap!

7 Likes

Started out farming and in studies in agriculture (animal science) at the U of Goo.
When the Royal Bank of Canada decided it liked my parents’ farm so much it wanted to keep it, I switched to molecular biology.
Went to Poland to finish a graduate degree, worked in research at the U of W.
Concurrently worked for a patent law office.
Decided PhD research in molbio was shit, went into patents and tech transfer full time. Doing that ever since, back home in Canadastan since 8 years ago.

Along the way I have farmed, driven a cab, trained horses, taught, and did construction (framing, interior renovation, landscaping and installing highrise windows), and been involved in three startups.

Shittiest job ever: you know when you start a new job, you have to eat turd sandwiches? Yeah? Well, I used to clean out milk-fed veal pens with a high pressure washer. It was f@#$_&g turd slurpees.

17 Likes

While i can’t beat it, i can commiserate. I was washing cattle trucks out the same way.

8 Likes

Likewise. I am currently a cloud architect in a product team for another MSP :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah. You remember the old schoolyard taunt? “I won’t hit you, because shit splatters!”?

Yep. We can confirm. It really does.

6 Likes

I’m a Babysitter/Janitor.
I walk the useless MSP by the hand and clean up after them.

7 Likes

MSP?

5 Likes

Monumentally Stupid People

7 Likes

i don’t talk about it online much because hospitals are really weird/paranoid about online stuff. but i work in a pediatric orthopedic hospital in the intensive care, i’m an RN.

13 Likes