Song 43 - "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath

Song: Iron Man
Artist: Black Sabbath
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnZMQpkOdEE

Spotify Link

2 Likes

Here is my take on Iron Man. I went fretless, is this blasphemy? You decide, let me know either way :slight_smile: Like most Sabbath, it has a bunch of great riffs and super fun to play loud but…the end is literally painful, those 32nd notes, I did my best to try and keep up.

3 Likes

I was afraid for you at first, very afraid, but man it sounds great!!!
Make sure to post again in the covers thread so more people see this, its great.
Tone is very cool for the tune.
You are a brave fella @dlamson13 well done.
Really really loved it.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @John_E, I’m really glad you liked it! I ended up picking this bass because I I thought it sounded “off” on my fretted basses in standard tuning. I later found this video by Art of Guitar which geeks out about why this might be. That, and as a challenge to up my fretless game.

Thanks, I used the B1Four BossOD and SVT Emulator. One of the nice things about going off script like this, was I no longer felt like I had to sound like Geezer. I was free to just dial in something I liked the sound of.

1 Like

Love this song and pretty much all the Ozzy-era Sabbath stuff. Had many cassettes in my youth and I’m very familiar with the song. That said, I wasn’t as familiar with the bass line as it’s a bit hidden in the mix. Moises really came to the rescue here and that helped me hear the bass solo in the middle of the song clearer so I could emulate it.

I found it much easier to go with a pick for the outro to manage the 32nd notes.

Hair down :white_check_mark:
P Bass with Rounds :white_check_mark:
Metallica T-shirt that is older than most Olivia Rodrigo fans :white_check_mark:
No sheet music :white_check_mark:
Standing with slight head-banging :white_check_mark:

Also, this is the first showing of my new custom shop bass! Still using the Cali76 Comp pedal and Darkglass head here. I decided to keep the signal clean. I also noticed I forgot to put my little banner on the video! Oh, well it will return next time.

Head over here to see more pics of the bass: Show Us Your Basses (Part 2) - #1825 by cheeze_pizza

Thanks for checking it out!

9 Likes

Nice work, @cheeze_pizza, pretty cool to hear how you approached the solo. That stuff is still beyond me, so good for you! :+1: +1:

I am impressed by the hair! :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks Antonio! With Tony Iommi’s solo going over Geezer’s it’s hard not to rush that solo a bit. I almost considered recording that section with the guitar muted but in the end I tried to just muster through it and it came out mostly good! :smiley:

3 Likes

Super work @cheeze_pizza! You are really turning into a badass, checking off all the boxes! :slight_smile: I know and love the song, but I was not aware that the bassline had so much to it.

4 Likes

Thanks Johnny! I appreciate the kind words. I was also surprised by the complexities of this bass line.

3 Likes

Holy cow pure gold here @cheeze_pizza !!!

I kept hearing a clicking noise esp when you plucked the E string. Is that from the strings hitting the pickups or some Moise’s artifact?

3 Likes

Thanks John! The clicking is a Moises artifact. Geezer was super clacky on the track and it didn’t all go away, especially in the outro.

3 Likes

Catching up on some 50 song tracks tonight, you kicked some serious ass on this! The solo, the hair, Sabbath in all its glory, way to go :metal:

3 Likes

Played on the little Blackstar and I am in vacation mode, but hope you approve that #43 is done.:slight_smile: