Song 5 - "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

As I thought, thanks.

3 Likes

You could also play the 7th fret as the 2nd fret on the next string up. If you rather do this for now so you can keep your eyes off the fret board, and over time, as you get more used to things you can change back.

1 Like

I agree with Joe’s comments @Jazzbass19,
All these issues you talk about will diminish over time and with practice, the dexterity will build in your fingers and it will become a feel thing.
PS: even the great players frequently look at the fretboard while playing, it’s not because they dont know where the different frets are it to ensure they play it perfectly.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Interface borrowed, Ardour downloaded… it’s almost time, ladies and gents.

4 Likes

Finally! This is my first-and-last recording with the rental bass, the next ones will be with the new Ibanez!

12 Likes

It’s hard to not play bass in those big gaps isn’t it? I struggled with that. :slight_smile:

You seemed to really enjoy this song which is great to see!

And it must be nice to have Josh Fossgreen sized fingers!

Really well done on this. Glad you are joining in. Looking forward to more!

3 Likes

Very nice job @fosskers ,
You looked like you were having fun, great finger work on both hands👍
Good job on the mix and nice tone,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Well done all around @fosskers!
Great tone etc all around.

Too much smiling for the path to hell though :rofl:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! There were a few minor mistakes, but no show-stoppers for that take, so I “shipped” it. And yeah I couldn’t help smiling, it’s a rockin’ tune, even with the long gaps of (bass) silence.

5 Likes

Thats what is important, as any musician, but as a bass player for sure, having a groove, and sticking with that groove, even after a mistake is how things need to be done.
there is no such thing as PERFECTION, as there will ALWAYS be some sort of flaw, even if it takes computers to realize it, but even if they are realized, they need to be left in the recording, to keep the human element in it.
Otherwise it would all be Techno, Dub Step, Drum and Bass, and EDM in general.
Plus
The ability to move past a mistake is important, so if / when you play live music with others, at practice or a gig, this is more than just handy, it is mandatory for the sake of the performance.

Great Job

4 Likes

Here is my contribution. Usual mistakes but glad to get this one done - finally. First time on Vimeo as YT blocked it. I hope you guys can view it and the sound is ok!?!

I gotta do some reading (on these forums or other) to figure out the better path to recording my videos (as the i-phone recording the speaker bar from the laptop and bass amp in the background isn’t really working for me).

7 Likes

Your bass is about 5x louder than the backing track and it sounds like a fan is on, but I don’t mind that stuff. I wouldn’t worry about things like this unless it bugs you personally.

Good playing overall. Few stumbles on the syncopated and quicker bits, but it’s more of an awkward song than you would think at first glance. I think the long pauses put us all off our game some too.

1 Like

Thanks @JT , and good ear, I neglected to turn the fan off in the corner of my office. Plus someone at work pinged me on Teams about 2/3 way through. All the more reason for me to learn how to record direct and more gear I reckon for my severe case of GAS.

3 Likes

Fans sound 10x louder on a recording than in the room, its insanity.

If you do decide to invest in a DAI, you will find lots of discussions on how to get up and running. That part is up to you.
“Mix” aside…
On the playing, great job as usual @JDDaniel, and as always love that great bass.
A few flubs are fine, such scrutiny is not put on actual musicans (hey wait, we are musicians too).

3 Likes

Thanks my friend @John_E , I will definitely look through the forum threads for DAI insights.

I might go ahead and put the rounds back on the P like we were chatting in the other thread and re-record this one…just not sure if I want to commit to that time-sink.

And, might even try standing for a video in the future. LoL Actually, I did practice this one standing a few days ago, but really got into it and my “white guys shouldn’t dance” (unless inebriated) antics made me sit back down. ROFL

5 Likes

Nice work @JDDaniel,
you know where you made a few blunders, but this song with that much space is not as easy as it looks.
There was a lot of back ground noise, but i could easy hear your bass and the song so that’s cool,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

I finally did it and am back on track :slight_smile: some songs to catch up!

11 Likes

Nailed it as far as I can tell! Glad to see you back.

3 Likes

From what I saw, and the little bit of it I could hear, I’d say you nearly nailed it. I only say “nearly” because of a couple minor hiccups, but for the most part, well done.
I’d love you hear what you can do when you get setup with some decent recording gear!

5 Likes

Nice job @enkhiel good looking fingering and it sounded good and right in the pocket.

5 Likes