Speaking of pet pictures

Cute pictures, @dravernor . . . :slightly_smiling_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

How old is your dog, and I don’t mean, if she is old, why not just leave it alone, but is she a puppy?
We had a Papillon with something that sounds like that, and I never really fully understood it, but they said she could be ok, unless it gets worse, and if you wanted to breed her (which we did not) it would be necessary to be done, but otherwise, she might be ok with it and have a normal life.

She is alive and kicking about 9 years old now and just fine without the surgery.
Again, I vaguely remember them saying it was something that sounded like what your dog has, but I can’t be sure it is the same thing.
It was not something that ever bothered our dog, it was like she was 100% normal, she just peed kind of funny (her stance), but that might just have been her anyway.

5 Likes

Thanks @T_dub
 Sara and I are having second thoughts about this. She seems to be healing naturally, and I’ve read many articles that say surgery isn’t always necessary.

Not to mention, I totally distrust the entire vet business.

5 Likes

Vet opinions are very broad and wide sadly @PamPurrs.

You are right to question it. Get another opinion. It’s a lot cheaper than a surgery.

5 Likes

Vets are a real mixed bag . We’ve had some great ones out to our horses and a couple that won’t be allowed on the property again.
I hope Lucy recovers well and naturally would be wonderful

4 Likes

Yes, it is hard to know what to think. On one hand, I agree, their time, and medications and the talent to pull off surgery, along with other factors that make pet surgery very specialized, is VERY COSTLY. And unlike Human’s, there is not a HUGE market for pet insurance.

On the other hand, it is hard to tell if they will perform unnecessary surgeries on animals (that are not vital or will harm them in any way, but on the other hand may not be totally necessary) to get business they may desperately at times, and, in the age of Covid.

I tend to trust them when something is off and antibiotics fix it, or to get RX strength Flea meds that work way better then the OTC type (IMO), but when they come up with high cost solutions to minimal problems, it sort of puts a bit ? in my head.

way back when when they told me that it would cost $3000 just for a CT scan, to search for the problem on my Rott that was struggling very much, they did not even suggest it. She was 10 year old Rott, and suffering from something in her brain cuz she couldn’t even use her back legs anymore. Once her hips were cleared, and not the problem, it was time to put her down.

4 Likes

Finding a good vet is hard but once you do, hang on to them, they are gold.

5 Likes

I like to think that most vets do have the pets best interest in mind, but the surgeon will always tend to think that surgery is the answer. To quote some Phish lyrics
 “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

6 Likes

Good point.
I’m not familiar with that band or those lyrics, but I do recall studying Maslow’s theories in my college psych classes, and the quote from his 1960s book, “Toward a Psychology of Being” in which he stated similar words (which is now known as Maslow’s Hammer):

I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail.

7 Likes

Most all vets and doctors alike all go by the 80/20 rule of diagnosis, it how the system is set up.
Advocating for yourself, or your furry friend, to insure you are not in the 20 is so important.
I find myself in the 20 more often than the rule would suggest.

3 Likes

Go for it @PamPurrs! Sorry about your pup!

6 Likes

Follow up on Lucy:

After much research, meditation, reflection, and discussion with Sara and friends (plus a few beers), we have decided to take a more holistic approach to Lucy’s situation.
We’ve been giving her some natural supplements, and stimulating her knee via exercise and gentle massages. Her limp is nearly non existent now, although she still won’t leap onto the bed or a chair. That may take more time. She needs to lose weight, so we are putting her on a diet.

With all that said, we have decided to cancel her scheduled surgery. For those of you who’ve contributed to her fund, I’ve contacted GoFundMe and am making arrangements to have all donations returned to the donors. I’m not sure how long that will take, but keep your eyes out for any messages from GoFundMe or your bank.
I truly thank you all for your support.

19 Likes

This is great news!

4 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs,
That’s great news, Shirl and I hope everything is going as well as it can.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great news, Pam . . . :slight_smile:

Glad that everything is working out and Lucy is ok . . . :heart:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Great. Have you thought about one of the Bed Stairs or Ramps for dogs? We had one of those, cuz the bed was on a frame and was about 3ft off the ground, if not a little higher.

2 Likes

We bought her a little staircase, but couldn’t get her to use it so we returned it. I’m thinking of building a ramp for her.

2 Likes

Me trying to practice
 She was layed across my tab for a bit
 She usually tries to squeeze behind the bass.

16 Likes

Finally remembered to take a picture of Zoey.

She’s 3 1/2. Bernese Mountain Dog. Sweetest mush on the planet. Wont set foot in my music room. Hates the noise and the confined space.

17 Likes

I wish’d all your pets r belong to me. I went through and liked every picture posted. Most of you have the coolest cats and dogs. Some of you have horses and one of you even has a tiger. A cool zoo bunch.

10 Likes