Speaking of pet pictures

Even mine, @Bersist? :smiley: (This is Snowy the rat – She’s watching a Beatles documentary with me, LOL)

17 Likes

Rats are so cool as pets.

Got a new edition to the herd who has had a really crap start in life and because of that has a few issues( he’s a kicker if panicked)but has come such a long way in a very short time.
Tango is now safe and always will be.
The first pic is what happens because he always assumes anything in my hand may involve liquorice ( my fault, he’s spoilt :joy:)

14 Likes

Rats & mice are very cool too! Gotta love pets that watch stuff with you. Knew someone with a pet snake too. I love it when people have pets that aren’t mainstream.

My dog is a very mainstream pet for example but in her defense she’s not into mainstream music. She loves Dog Whistle, you’re probably never heard it before. :unamused:

6 Likes

I had a ton of snakes and bred them for a while in my 20’s. I got snakes cuz I wasn’t allowed to have a dog at my place. When I moved out I got my Rott, and the snakes started fading away.
I also used to breed rats and mice, to feed all the snakes.

I don’t have any pets currently. I would love to get another dog.

6 Likes

I love rats great pets, had one when I was about 15 loved him his name was ratty lol. I read the James Herbert series The Rats and just had to get one.

6 Likes

I also had rats when i was in college. They were such great little pets!

Yesterday I picked up a betta fish. He such such a big personality!!
I’ve named him Iroh, after the character from Avatar: The Last Airbender. My two best friends have animals with names in the same theme too.

14 Likes

3 Likes

Wow he looks amazing!

5 Likes

Hopefully he will become even more vibrant once he settles in! He looked so sad in his little pet store cup.

6 Likes

Give him a small plant (either real or fake) in which to hide or retreat, and he will relax and be more colorful, @dravernor . . . :slight_smile:

I had aquariums for years and this will help any fish to relax and feel more secure.

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Thanks Joe!

I gave him some hornwort, a capatta leaf and some little floaters for now. His small tank is floating in the big tank until it is ready. I am so excited, I love fish!

6 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs, et al,

Yet another thread I am late too…but here is Bently, our 11 year old male Malti-Poo. He is usually found in one of a very few places, under one of my Fender stools or on the Aggie bench (GIG 'EM) which @JT will appreciate - LOL if I am in my office, or on the couch right beside one of us if the wife or I are sitting on it.

18 Likes

Off topic, but my oldest son went to A&M and I spent 4 years going to occasional yell practice on Friday nights, then standing in the student section during the games on Saturday, singing the Aggie Fight Song.

6 Likes

Here a pic of our little guy the day we brought him home from the shelter.

22 Likes

I used to aquascape and keep fresh water planted tanks. There is nothing better for the whole tank then freshwater plants. They are natural filters. I still ran filters and pumped CO2 into the water to get proper growth and healthy plants.
I had a tank in an Aquarium magazine once. If I can dig up a photo, I will post it.

Be careful of the floaters. They are almost parasitic, they grow on the surface, out of control and will quickly cover the surface. If they completely cover it, it will be like locking the fish in an airtight room, and he won’t get any oxygen (as it comes mostly from agitation at the surface).
They are cool to have, they are a pain in the ass to get get rid of, but as long as you keep pulling them out, it will be fine.

4 Likes

That’s really cool! Do you still have photos of your tanks?

I used to collect houseplants, and then we moved and I had to find homes for like 40 plants. It was quite heartbreaking, because a lot of them were rescues from friends, or I had grown from tiny little shoots or cuttings. When we got here I decided to try my hand at underwater plants - which is how I came to the idea of getting a fish. I was given a few floaters and you’re absolutely right - they take over the surface super quickly. In two weeks I have more than I can manage, so I have been decanting them into jars and just outright killing a few. I’m going to get one of this floating ‘feeder rings’ that keep the floaters out and give a sizeable space for the fish to reach the surface.
To be honest, what is going on here is that I bought a small aquarium a few weeks ago (5 gallon) and started nitrogen cycling it. Then yesterday I went to the pet shop to get some other stuff and I felt terrible for this sad little guy, so I brought him home with a .75 gallon ‘pet keeper’ tank. I tested the water in the big tank and there was still too much ammonia in it for the fish to be safe, so he is in the ‘pet keeper’ for now. Since the heater doesn’t fit in the pet keeper, I am floating it inside the big tank.
When the sun is out tomorrow I’ll take a nice ‘tank in tank’ shot so you can check out my poor aquascaping! :joy:

Oh I forgot to mention, I went with a bunch of low tech plants, so no CO2 needed, just some light. So far so good.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with low tech tanks, I did those too.

Most of the pictures are either on a hard drive somewhere, or on an old mac book that no longer works.

I have alot still posted online, but I would need to hunt them down.

5 Likes

No pressure, but if you ever get around to finding them, I would love to see! I am a sucker for pretty aquariums!

4 Likes

I sure will.

You can look up the forums for
SCAPE - Southern California Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts.
and
AAPE - Arizona Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts.

I started doing this when I was in Arizona (AAPE), and then moved back home to So Cal (SCAPE - what a perfect name for an aquascaping club, we were jealous in Arizona) and joined, then became president of SCAPE for a while.

If you join the forum, and search for member GOALCREAS, and find build threads started by me (goalcreas), you will probably find stuff before I get a chance.
I will have to hunt stuff down, and figure a way to download the photo’s, or see what site they were linked from, and try to get into those accounts and reset the passwords and get to the pictures. I am not sure if I can reset the passwords as the master e-mail account may not be active anymore.

5 Likes

Newest additions to our family:

Chichi:

Looks almost like my girlfriends old cat, Ginger.

Ninja:

Both:

Scary claws.

And with their mother:

25 Likes