Strap Locks

Schaller said they would happily send a replacement button, nice folks.

3 Likes

There you go.
Customer service from zero to hero in one day :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I didn’t expect anything less. They’re German and they stand behind their products.

1 Like

Yeah. They are pretty much the best.

2 Likes

I install Dunlop Strap Loks on all my basses. I have one nice, wide padded strap with a wireless unit and this lets me interchange to my heart’s content.

3 Likes

Hi there,

I’m thinking about installing some strap locks in my bass, but the current screw has a diameter of 3 mm and the smallest screws for locks by Schaller come in 3.5 mm. Is that a simple screw in, do I need to drill, or should I rather avoid it?

My alternative would be to continue with the rubber Grosch locks. However, I’d be interested in having at least longer screws (to play around with the position of the strap), so what type of screw should I look for?

Best wishes & thanks for your input
Antonio

1 Like

They screw right in, using the original holes as pilot holes. Drilling would be detrimental.

I’ve only used the Schaller’s, and never had to make the button hole bigger. Their screw fits tighter (by design I think to give more bite), just make sure to go slow so you don’t put too much pressure on the body too fast. A few turns at a time and let it rest for several seconds before continuing. You should have each button installed in a couple of minutes without having to use too much torque.

I have had to slightly widen the holes on several basses (generally Squiers or other cheapos) slightly to accommodate the more reasonably strong bigger screws. It’s not a big deal, but put some tape or a stop on the bit so you don’t go too deep is all.

You might find trying to screw in with the smaller hole in a bass that’s a nice harder wood will strip your screw head before it bores in otherwise.

In the words of my grandfather (of which he had many) “never force a thing”.

Thanks guys, guess I can give this a go then! :grin:

@antonio try putting a bit of wax or chap stick something like that onto the thread to help ease the screw. It stops the screw binding against the wood.

If you’re really heavy handed and force it you can snap those little screws.

Cherry works best obviously

6 Likes

Did you change the strap buttons on the Gretsch? I haven’t tried to deal with the one that’s part of the plate yet.

If I had found the Ernie Ball 3" Polylock strap, I would have never installed strap locks on my other basses. On the Stingray Special I did not want to put on strap locks. I wanted to keep it the way it came. Andy at Sweetwater suggested the EB strap and it works like a charm on the existing fastener. And it feels good on the shoulder.

1 Like

Yep! That’s an awesome option.

The EBMM 3" Neoprene with straplocks is really good for the money, I have a couple of them for the basses I have that leave the house. Quick, comfortable, and store easily in the case.

I’m going old school and using rubber washers. EB seems the easiest to put on and take off.

Nope. I put a strap on it and left it there. Those are too wonky for me to be messing with.

2 Likes

Schallers are the first thing I do to any instrument. And I have never drilled out any of the holes. It would not generally be helpful, the screws are over 3mm and go right in to the existing holes, cutting just slightly wider as they go in. Very easy, no danger of snapping anything.

2 Likes

They also don’t have screw heads to strip out. Allen keys have a lot more torque before slipping.

2 Likes

+1 for Schaller S locks.

3 Likes