Tell us your funniest misheard lyric

…lets give him boots!
Co-workers are probably wondering why I suddenly had a coughing fit and spit out some coffee.

5 Likes

“Blowin’ In The Wind”
Bob Dylon: The Answer My Friends Is Blowin’ In The Wind
Me: The Ants Are My Friends, They’re Blowin’ in the Wind

“Lookin’ Out My Back Door”
CCR: A Dinosaur Victrola List’ning to Buck Owens.
Me: Just About to Throw Up, List’ning to Buck Owens

3 Likes

Yours makes more sense than CCR’s original :joy:

2 Likes

Nah, Mike. John Fogerty’s lyrics just mean he’s listening to classic country music on a very old record player (Dinosaur Victrola).

2 Likes

Okay, I must admit I’ve misheard a few lyrics myself. While not a lyric, one of the funniest miss-hearings I ever heard was my kids referring to “PORTA-potties” as “POOR-potties” because they believed they were for people who couldn’t afford bathrooms in their homes. :joy:

And my partner’s children thought those lovely little “moist towelettes” that you are given after eating messy finger foods at a restaurant were “moist toilets”. :joy: Needless to say, there were lots of giggles at the dinner table. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

In the Netherlands we often refer to them as “Dixies” (one of the manufacturers) so guess what image comes to mind when some of us hear “Dixi Chicks”?
If you now forever associate them with port-a-potties, you’re welcome :joy:

4 Likes

Back in the “days of old” I heard on the radio, “…Ah Oooo Where was the thunder? Ah Oooo…” which later my lyricist brother informed me was “…Ah Oooo, Werewolves of London…Ah Oooo…” . Major embarrassment which my brother never let me live down to the day he died.
Since 1964 when lyrics began to make sense because I had to transcribe them then perform them, I have had only a few dozen more ‘faux pas’ like that one.

4 Likes

Check out Billy Oceans, Go and Get Stuffed!

2 Likes

turned away from it all like a blind man

sat on her face but it don’t work

:grin::+1:

2 Likes

Just remembered this one as I was playing along to the Toto- Africa bass tab. As a kid I used to think it said ‘As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like a biscuit above the Serengeti’.

3 Likes

Excellent turn of the phrase into some everyday lyrics everyone can identify with. “Well done!” he said bemusedly.

2 Likes

Now THAT was great! Awesome well-timed animation & closed-caption of assumed verses. Lord!!! Am I too old or WHAT?!

2 Likes

I had a friend who swore the line was " As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like a lepress above the Serengeti". I had forgotten that one

2 Likes

Atlanta Rhythm Section - So Into You. There a line in there that goes “When you walked into the room…there was voodoo in the vibes.” when I was a kid I thought that said “when you walked into the room…there was doodoo in the bath.” :laughing:

4 Likes

First car was a turd 1974 4 cylinder mustang hatchback, with just an AM radio in it. The radio sounded so bad, I was jammin out driving to work, and kept singing the song in front of coworkers.
Only to find out my loud rendition of Bon Jovi’s ‘wanted, metalll butterflyyyy’, was supposed to be ‘wanted, dead or alive’. Wanted to crawl in a hole after that one.

3 Likes

There’s a video on Youtube where a Dutch choir sings the Gopher Tuna lyrics.

2 Likes

I just learned that the outro to ELO’s Mr Blue Sky doesn’t say Mr Blue Sky but is instead Please Turn Over. 45 years I have been getting that wrong

3 Likes

It was the last song on Side A. Kind of funny.

Just Vinyl things

2 Likes

I think I must have been 10 when I first heard “Every Little Thing She does is Magic” by the Police. Instead of
“I resolved to call her up, A thousand times a day” my brain decided the lyric should be “I resort to cholera, A thousand times a day” - what was I thinking!

2 Likes

:smile: :rofl: Love that one

1 Like