The PICK thread

I find picking to actually be a bit more challenging than finger plucking, particularly when string jumping. When plucking, I can feel the strings so I always know where I am. Also, with fingers, I’m always “upstroking” so to speak. With alternate picking, I always have to be aware when I upstroke or downstroke which strings my pick is between; which can be cause for the wrong string being struck. This is where a lot of practice comes in (as with everything else about playing).
But like you said, it’s not rocket science.

4 Likes

Did you know you can get custom printed picks from D’Addario and they’re really not any more expensive than regular picks?

100 picks for $29.49 usd. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Cool, would like to try their Duralin and Cortex.

5 Likes

The pick journey has begun. I have acquired several sample packs of picks that will be summarily dismissed quickly. I am leaning towards the bigger triangles, and the Tortex, have not tried the Ultex yet. I agree with @PamPurrs that picking is not as straightforward, most likely because of starting the other way with fingers. I almost think bass lessons should start with a pick so you are forced to learn better muting with the left hand vs. relying on the right.
There are def tones you can’t get unless using a pick so will keep at it.

2 Likes

I started with a pick, so maybe. I definitely find it easier at speed.

I recommend starting out using only downstrokes. Once you have that down pat, moving to alternating is not too hard but it is simpler to start with just one direction. Especially in terms of string crossing, if that gives you trouble, which it probably will :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Howard, for people like you and @terb, who have experience playing guitar, the downstroke is quite natural. However, having never learned to play guitar, and after 1 1/2 years of finger plucking on bass, the up stroke feels the most natural to me. That may explain why @terb made the comment that my picking is very unusual.
In my Psycho Killer cover video, which was my first with a pick, it’s obvious that I’m alternating throughout the song, but favoring the upstroke because it seemed natural to me.
@John_E I’ll be interested to hear your experience with this.

3 Likes

I agree (even if other techniques are not necessarily “bad”)

3 Likes

I started with a pick, playing guitar, and I still think finger plucking is easier on bass

agree 100%, problem is this feels natural when I play guitar, but because I alternate finger plucking, it feels odd on bass to go one direction. String crossing is easier this way, to start at least, but it just does not feel right.

I only recently started to use a pick just to learn a couple songs that need to be picked. Other than those songs, I will probably stay finger style as much as I can.

These are the picks I got to try out, I still find them a little on the thicker side. I would like something probably in the .6mm range most likely.
These are still pretty good tho.

I watched some footage of Tina playing at CBGB’s and then later on, many years after that, and she played with her thumb. Interesting, I thought she played with alternating finger plucking, and others thought it was a pick, but it turned out to be her thumb. At least the videos I saw her playing. Who knows how it was recorded?

4 Likes

Interesting pick video on SBL presented by Ian Allison
https://youtu.be/eIYTRpIvAtA

3 Likes

Haha - that opening… I have “Loretta” out for some practice this morning. She’s eaten so many picks…

5 Likes

I’ve always thought F-holes looked like big gaping pick-eating mouths.

4 Likes

The story goes, guitars traditionally had holes in them to store food you threw at the drummer when he did a good job. Gibson thought this practice barbaric, so they changed the holes on ES models to a sideways ‘f’ to discourage it. The ‘f’ stands for ‘f*** you - you’re not getting anything you drop in here, back’.

5 Likes

Have you seen the Ernie Ball Prodigy Shield picks?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EB9338--ernie-ball-prodigy-guitar-picks-2.0-mm-white-large-shield-6-pack

If you like big triangles (onigiri!) and a thicker pick, it’s perfect.

I stumbled on the Prodigy Shields when I was looking for Chicken Picks. I still want to try the CP Bermuda, but for the price a 1-pack will do.

https://www.amazon.com/ChickenPicks-Bermuda-IIIP-guitar-picks/dp/B07LGDYHKV/

3 Likes

Thanks @emme I will give them a whirl!

2 Likes

Now that I am learning Round and Round I have been using my Carol Kaye picks. Ms. Kaye would not approve the all-downstroke technique this song requires, though. As a guitarist, it’s more natural for me to alternate, but it doesn’t sound the same. [The picture didn’t upload :triumph:]

1 Like

LMFAO :joy: :rofl:

Just look at all the guitar picks you drop in there as a percussory accessories.
An opportunity to mod your guitar into a maraca.

2 Likes

So… I wound up coming into a pretty large supply of Dunlop picks. Tortex, Ultex, Flow, Prime Grip, the whole nine. It included 6 packs of Primetone picks, from 1.4 to 3.0. Has anyone used those before? They look to be really nice, and they seem to play really well.

3 Likes

Wow. The SBV is kind of made to play with a pick, isn’t it. Sounds great, feels great.

3 Likes

The more I play, the more I realize I prefer playing finger style. But of all the picks I’ve tried, the Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 is the one I’ve liked best so far.

4 Likes

I love that one also…

3 Likes