The Story Behind Your Profile Pic?

I lived the first 25 years or so in Texas, but have lived the last 20 or so in the UK. Will soon be a citizen of the UK in addition to the US. So my avatar is the Texas flag and UK flag.

7 Likes

It’s my dog. She has no teeth so her tongue is always hanging out :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Its just me and my cat… Im living with my parents atm and my dad brought her back as a stray and she immediately took to me… So i have a cat now I wasnt expecting… Love her though shes a lot of fun but also a nightmare with prolific hunting.

10 Likes

Selfie in the car (at a stop…) with my then Puppy in the back.

5 Likes

I have a friend I’ve known for 35 years. He’s weird and smart and a cool guy. He has also done quite well for himself. For ten years, on his birthday, he would rent out a club, redecorate the whole place, and arrange a show.

The redecorating alone would take 4-6 hours and we would transform this seedy metal bar into a 1920’s style burlesque theatre. I say we, but all I did was grunt work. He designed, arranged, and paid for everything. We switched out all the white lights for red lights. Brought in table cloths, table lights, stage extensions, fog machine, wall art, black and red velvet wall cloth wall covers, and so much more. One year there was a tentacle wall and every year there were blow up tentacles and finger tentacles for everyone.

Every year there were two bands (one of which was always Gargamel! from Tampa FL), stage dancers, a DJ, and an amazing burlesque show. All of these performers were top notch and really professional.

He also had it catered with a selection of Mexican food, pizza, and desserts that always included some form of red velvet cake. At the end of the night (2:15-3:00), when the lights would come on and we would start breaking everything down, he would invite the homeless folks that hung out near by to come in and take all the food they wanted. There was always a lot of food left and the homeless guys acted like they had hit the lottery.

On top of all this, costumes were welcome (but not required). Over the years there were luchadores, an 8’ alien, more than one giant rabbit, flappers, goth people, a 6’4" Slender Man, and a contingent of the local 501st Stormtroopers with Darth Vader and Imperial Guards. This list could go on and on.

More than anything, he put on this event as an excuse to gather together old friends to share an amazing night. People came from all over the US and from as far away as Germany and Japan.

We would start working at 10 AM. The show went from 8 PM to 2 AM and we would get home at around 4 AM. It was exhausting and worth it. Every… Single… Year.

This picture was taken at about 2:10 AM right as the lights were coming on. It’s one of my favorite pictures of me and comes with a lot of memories.

One last thing, my friend, Wade, didn’t just hire all these people, he built relationships with them. He always made sure everybody was fed, taken care of, and well paid. Many of them became personal friends over the years.

19 Likes

What a cool guy!

4 Likes

I didn’t know where you were going with that. At first I thought you were going to say the picture is actually of your friend. :upside_down_face:

I’m really impressed by your memory on something like that. Clearly it had an impact on you. I’m jealous of people with good memories. Mine is really really bad.

4 Likes

I forgot one point about the picture.

There is a bright red lipstick kiss on my head. For the last show he did, the Mistress of Ceremonies was Kissa Von Addams. At the end of the show she was goofing around with me and gave me a big kiss right on my bald head. That’s the reason for the big smile.

9 Likes

You old devil, you . . . Eric :wink:

5 Likes

My first profile pic was a selfie of me holding my bass right after I had unpacked it, trying to look somewhat cool. I recently upgraded to me actually playing it, when I recorded my attempts at Blitzkrieg Bop. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Mine is my logo from my website

2 Likes

Got tired of my generic “N,” so just in the last 2 days I spontaneously decided to manipulate a photo of my lefty Ibanez miKro, blacken it to a silhouette, and lean it to the left, trying to emphasize the “lefty” aspect. It’s restricted by the circle size, and looks too small for my taste. I may change it to something else if/when I get a different idea, and sometime might change my user name also.

6 Likes

As the name states, I’ve been a volunteer basketball coach for over 40 years. My strategy has been to offer my services to the various school boards if they have a staff vacancy that needs filling. I also started a charitable foundation for at-risk kids years ago, and put a boys basketball team together targeting those that never were selected for one reason or another. The highlight of the program was a 15-day trip to London, England to compete in the World Youth Games. (We placed 4th)

I recently spent 5 years coaching a Special Olympics team, and that was a rewarding experience.

I’m 68 now and one of my bucket list goals was to coach into my 70’s, but covid has messed that up for the time being. Time will tell if I blow a whistle again, but in its’ absence, I’ll have more free time to learn how to play the bass. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That was a fantastic story @eric.kiser! I always imagined that you had hair like The Rock due to dark background and small picture…

Not so epic story of my profile pic:

When I moved to Italy I could not bring my Amp. I was a super beginner even before that so this caused me to stop playing it all together. The bass stayed in its soft bag for about 1 year during the pregnancy of my wife. After my son was born and we moved to a bigger house I finally had the opportunity to hang it on the wall, sadly for decoration only for another 3 years of time.

When my son started talking (more or less) he would every now and then would ask to play with “la pitarra di papà” so the photo is from one of these occasions.

I finally bought a USB DAI and restarted playing around the beginning of the second pregnancy of my wife, then I met BassBuzz and it snowballed from there…

This would be a more up to date pic with my daughter this time

12 Likes

Great pic, @Fahri . . . :heart:

Looks as if she’s helping you tune up! . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Hobbies: breaking things and bass.

5 Likes

Mine is a picture I drew from one of the mechs in the game “Hawken”. Totally not music related, except that the music in that game was awesome.

7 Likes

It’s a spider. Duh.

About 25 years ago I owned an extensively modified Jeep CJ5 and was active in a local four wheel drive club. I earned the nickname “Spiderman” (or sometimes “Spidey”) due to a propensity to drive my Jeep up nearly vertical surfaces.

I sold the Jeep and stopped off-roading many years ago, but I still use the avatar and username for various forums because, well, because I’m too lazy to come up with something new. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

On stage in Nashville - corporate event (I used to play with my company’s band).

8 Likes

How did I miss this!?
:rofl: :joy: :rofl:
Nope, just bald.

I love seeing the pictures and videos you’ve posted with your kids. Mine are all grown up and busy doing grown up things. I still see them pretty regularly and talk to them daily (mostly) but it’s never the same as when they’re little.

I know people get frustrated with babies and little kids crying in restaurants or on planes but that sound causes me to relax. Hand me a screaming baby and I slip in to maximum ZEN mode.

All those years of holding and rocking babies. If you want them to relax, they have feel you relax. So, that’s what I did. I never expected this to be a thing for me. Now, it’s like some kind of Pavlovian response.

9 Likes