Time for a new audio interface

Hi,

It seems I’ve fried my audio interface. I presume I plugged in with the PC running, or maybe crookedly. I have a theory that maybe the signal was too hot as I wanted to run something from my amp. However, I’m pretty sure I’ve done that before. :thinking:

I’ve contacted the retailer and plan to buy a new DI. The M-Audio Solo that I have was a bit on the quiet side through the headphones and didn’t have great output options (cinch). My passive bass was also set at 4.5/10 gain, so that it wouldn’t clip. It was cheap at ca. 45€. What would be a reasonably priced upgrade in your opinion?

Cheers,
Antonio

PS: Rest in peace, little buddy :angel:

3 Likes

The two best in the lower price tier are probably the Solid State Logic SSL2/SSL2+ and the MOTU M2/M4. If you don’t care quite as much about mic preamp quality you could go with a Focusrite Scarlett, very common and a solid choice.

3 Likes

I do not have any experience with the M-Audio interface products but do have a Behringer interface.
No problems at all with it but after 6-7 years I decided to replace it and with all the hype about the Scarlett 2i2 decided to give it a try.

I do not see any difference between the Behringer and Scarlett interfaces for what I am using it for, other than the Scarlett being more expensive. YMMV

Here is a link to the Scarlett Interface I purchased.

1 Like

I’ve been pretty happy with an Audient EVO 4. It’s done well. I’m not sure how loud you need your headphones to be, but I’m happy with the levels I get out of this little guy. YMMV.
Here’s a link for simple comparison purposes for you:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Audient_EVO4_vs_M-Audio_M-Track_Solo/BHitems/1548377-REG_1619184-REG

3 Likes

Yeah Audient makes great stuff too.

1 Like

Focusrite Scarlett is probably the one to get. I have the 4i4 and it’s quite awesome. Focusrite also has a factory outlet store with pretty aggressive discount on the B-stock that comes with warranty

I’d also would recommend the IK AXE I/O one. I got one for my daughter and it’s pretty easy to use.

2 Likes

My top choices would be the MOTU M series or the Arturia Minifuse; the Focusrite Scarlet is always solid but it’s lacking some features the others have. I’m a big Arturia fan but the M2 has a nicer input level meter which is really handy. One of the things that’s nice to have that not all of them include is a monitor/mix knob.

Here’s a pretty good review of them Arturia MiniFuse vs Focusrite Scarlett vs MOTU M2 + Neumann U87 - YouTube

3 Likes

This is a required feature IMO.

2 Likes

You might want to consider whether you wanted/needed a MIDI interface included in the DAI - some have them, some don’t.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, seems like I now have a couple of clear options to pick from. Much appreciated!

When I said my headphones were too quiet, I meant that the M-Audio is both overall relatively quiet and the bass/monitor(?) is really too low - I have to turn down mp3 tracks to <5% so I can hear myself. And there is a general output dial, but no mix. If I got this right, I can’t turn up the gain either (clipping), right?

Cheers and have a good Tuesday, I’m off to work now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your post is an excellent example of why the mix/monitor blend knob is a mandatory feature for me.

5 Likes

One more stupid question: Which of the dials is the mix/monitor blend? Or do I look for a monitor and a headphone dial?

I’m pretty sure I’m overthinking this at the moment. :see_no_evil:

Cheers,
Antonio

PS: Calling it “knob” sounds wrong to my Britified ears.

2 Likes

The one in the middle :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Scarlett as well. I have a 2i2 arriving tomorrow.

1 Like

@antonio just in case you don’t know the Scarlett Solo is the cheapest of the Focusrite bunch. I have one, it’s good. It has a monitor knob.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Seems I have all the info I need now. :+1:

1 Like

I got an IK Multimedia Axe I/O Solo with bundled Amplitube 5 from Sweetwater. They have a demo listed now for $315 - $15 more than the interface alone. I got the bundle for $229, so great deal. I liked the Axe I/O Solo better than the Teac I had been using and no problems since.

1 Like

I’ve just invested in a new laptop so I can use Reaper :smiley:

Unfortunately it seems my Behringer UM-2 is not supported for Windows 11 :slightly_frowning_face:

Something to bear in mind when buying an interface. I think I’ll invest in one of those Scarletts …

1 Like

I am not a Windows user, but that seems rad… are you there isn’t a driver to be updated or something? Have you trawled the interwebs on that issue??

2 Likes

Yeah I think the problem is the driver. Behringer, don’t seem to care about supporting older models by writing new ASIO drivers, so the advice is to install ASIO4ALL. Unfortunately I’m not getting any joy from it :frowning: - the monitor is working but neither Reaper nor Audacity can ‘hear’ the output from the interface.

Oh well, buy cheap stuff …

2 Likes