Two-Fisted Punching Machines - the Double P topic

A few of us have a mild to heavy dose of GAS for these doubly-punchy tone beasts, so I thought I would start a topic for sightings of these in the wild. I’ll start this off with one I see very rarely, the Yamaha BB-XIII:

These were mid-90’s and used now go for about $500-600.

Please post any models you spot!

7 Likes

Next up, one familiar to people here as @Wombat-metal bought one: The FujiGen J-Standard Mighty Power:

These can be ordered new right now from Japan, and will run about $700-800 plus shipping.

6 Likes

Here’s one near and dear to me; I almost bought one last year. This is the uber-rare Yamaha SBV-J2, a limited (single run of 100) double-P variant of the SBV-550.

Pro tip: consider very deeply before buying #32 if you see it, the guy modded it a lot. I ended up offering a low offer on it and being happy he declined.

This bass is one of two in the world that I would trade my SBV-550 out for, the other being a SBV-800MF.

5 Likes

BC Rich Mockingbird bass. I wanted the same pickup for Greenie (DiMarzio DP-122)

8 Likes

This is a really useful bass. Been practicing my cover of Superstar/Sonic Youth on it just for the tone. I’ve got Fender 63 pickups in it, and with the tone rolled back its dark. But with the tone rolled up and the front pickup rolled back, it’s my MM wannabe. Versatile. Fat sound.

The craftsmanship is fantastic, best built bass I have. I have the alder body; ash costs a bit more

4 Likes

Fender has an entry, know very little about it

5 Likes

Yeah if I were going to get one, it would be this one:

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/c/c-/ba/ba01/ba010099/ba010099046/680473

Ash with maple neck. Looks fantastic.

Agree about build quality, FujiGen will meet or exceed Fender MIA standards. Fantastic instruments.

2 Likes

That looks interesting. On the plus side, the neck pickup looks to be in an identical location as the P-bass. On the downside, the bridge pickup is really close to the bridge. Not sure how effective that will be.

1 Like

Picture of the Fender

Elite 2

3 Likes

Oh sweet, that looks amazing!

2 Likes

This one is a one of a kind, but we can’t possibly omit it on this thread. Leland Sklar’s Frankenstein Bass :

If I remember correctly, it’s :

• a Charvel P-style body that Leland chose at the factory because it was the more resonnant *
  • a 60’s Fender Jazz Bass neck
  • mandolin fretwires
  • two early EMG P pickups with the old preamp that sucks battery very fast
  • the plate between the pickups is used to close the battery compartment

( * : in your face, anti-tonewood guys )

10 Likes

:rofl:

The positioning of the pickups there is kind of awesome. I would be tempted to go Full Throttle there and add a third.

3 Likes

Warwick will, of course, make you anything you want, so here’s a double-P Streamer Stage II:

Or an LX:

Or a Buzzard:

etc etc

2 Likes

I think you already started this topic…

Dual P pickups configuration

2 Likes

Ouch :face_with_head_bandage:

Then again, what does Leland Sklar know :crazy_face:

3 Likes

true, I totally forgot about it

2 Likes

Me too :rofl:

I posted this nice looking Corvette in that topic:

4 Likes

Well I don’t mind seeing that again

2 Likes

I really like the maple neck on that Warwick, that’s not common at all…

Are the Ibanez basses with their Nordstrand Big Break pickups basically also double P, at least kinda?
From their website:

Nordstrand™ “Big Break” pickups cram a meaty split coil into a soapbar-style pickup, producing a full-bodied, powerful, aggressive tonal texture, while still retaining the clarity that’s characteristic of single coil tone with noiseless performance.

1 Like