Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

So here’s the plan.

I’m just gassing over my custom bass, but also gassing over Nordstrand 51j4s, 51 p pickups in a J housing. Considered a custom J, but think the Paranormal is a better fit for the pickups with the neck pup in the position of the 51p bass, instead of further back like in a standard J

Also cheaper this way

3 Likes

I’m really interested in how you go with these pickups @Wombat-metal as if things go well I may follow your lead

2 Likes

For you @Mac I’ll try and get a recording of my mediocre play

3 Likes

Very much appreciated @Wombat-metal

2 Likes

May be a little bit. Says 3-4 weeks to build. My experience is this is worst case. Maybe I’ll send them some macarons as an incentive

3 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

I would really be interested to hear how it turns out, especially since you already have a double P as a comparison.

5 Likes

If I do a recording, can probably do that as well, and my custom P. That should work

3 Likes

I wanna hear your custom!

4 Likes

Will do

5 Likes

time to get relentless

10 Likes

Are you trying to catch up with @Al1885 ? Seems like a new one every week

6 Likes

Nope, had this one for a while, changing pickups. It has a Darkglass Tone capsule in it, Dimarzio released a set of Relentless in a PJ and I jumped on it.

sure would be easier to type if the cat wasn’t sleeping on my hand pillow

7 Likes

Betcha it sounds like “BOOM”

6 Likes

BOOM!!!

The Relentless pups are in da bass

When I first tried it, I was unimpressed. It sounded bland and a little honky like a single coil pickup. The Tone Capsule was set to neutral. I then adjust the high mids and low mids just a smidge, and boom. It sounds thick. Almost Spector like. Warning cover here I come

Once I change the strings. I have flats on it, and the tension now is too high, could use a setup, but maybe some rounds will help. Maybe some bass boomers. Or Pure Blues

18 Likes

Pure Blues :+1:

Also, that config looks great. Congrats.

5 Likes

That looks smashing!

5 Likes

Very nice! Is that a Charvel Pro Mod?

3 Likes

I just brought this home. A Squier 70’s Classic Vibe P in Surf Green. I saw it at work and I had to get it. Very decent fit and finish.

Upgraded the pick up to a Seymour Duncan SPB 3 Quarter Pounder, and changed the strings to Black Beauties.

Eventually, I’m going to black out all the chrome hardware.

Does anyone have recommendations for a black high mass bridge that will work for this model without drilling new holes?

13 Likes

I like the quality and price of the Gotoh (Japan) bridge. Straight drop in fit for a Fender screw pattern

6 Likes