Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Wow. What a simple yet effective upgrade. Very nice.

5 Likes

Yup, will hopefully find time to fit it over the weekend. I’ll need to make a decision on which strings to fit though.

3 Likes

Anything but the Warwick Reds :slight_smile:

I am liking the D’Addario NYXL’s a lot (but then again I love their EXL’s too).

4 Likes

Me too, they’re pretty much my default choice and they’re one of the available options. :+1:
But I’ve a few other options here, just need to decide which to try first.
They’ll all get a try at some point!

5 Likes

Ooh, Rotosound, classic!

Haven’t tried them yet.

3 Likes

I like NYXLs too as my default for rounds, but put a set of regular XLs on my 6 string. Not fan of Ernie Ball, but no experience with Rotosound yet, have a set here to try sometime

3 Likes

What would be the main difference(s) between the EXL and the NYXL strings, in your opinion?

2 Likes

They feel and sound very, very similar. The difference I have noticed is the NYXL’s stay in tune to a remarkable degree over any other string I have tried.

The NYXL’s do take the smooth, frictionless nature of the EXL’s a little farther and feel slightly better, but definitely similar.

4 Likes

I so wanted to upgrade to brass but the price to Australia (over $400) is so prohibitive I’ll have to make do with my tudur one

2 Likes

Whaaaaaat?
Hell, I didn’t pay anything even close to that.
What size JAN do you need?

3 Likes

What was the shipping from warwick.de? Can’t possibly be that much?

2 Likes

That was good old eBay.
Never thought about direct from Warwick.
Just priced it up and it’s $169 aud posted ! Better but postage is nearly as much as the nut (€48)

4 Likes

Another thing to try is to ask a guitar store of any decent size if they can order one for you.

4 Likes

Good thinking @howard :+1:
It is unfortunately the joy of living down under at times. Dealing with Europe seems to be pricey, the USA not quite so bad.

5 Likes

They’re probably using a fully tracked and insured courier service.
I’m sure I could get one to you for less using regular mail.
I send much bigger & heavier packages to Adelaide for about €15 and have never had one go missing.

4 Likes

Thank you @HowlinDawg
I’ll certainly give you a shout at some point.
You’ve really got me looking at those beautiful wooden tuning peg ends at the moment :flushed: I just may have to follow your lead with those

3 Likes

I have the RS66LD uncoated SS ones (orange packet) on my JJ Peavey.

Remember the Mazda advertising slogan “Zoom zoom!”?

Well, these are “Zing zing!”. They’re Geddy’s string of choice. I like them a lot, but then I haven’t really tried too great a variety. They are relatively cheap as well.

4 Likes

Just watched this last night and decided when the BB735 shows up they are going on it.

Might put them on the StingrayBFR in the meantime too. I turned my head away and only looked up when a tone really caught my ear. The SS version did every time.

2 Likes

Interesting… some time back you wrote that you prefer your bass thumpy over trebly. I’m pretty surprised that they caught your ear like that. That said, I agree that they have an amazing sound to them. Like I mentioned “Zing zing!” but with a definite, deep low end.

3 Likes

I do but I have enough of them now to have and want options based on what I am doing with them. The MM is for modern / slap, etc, so different, etc.

I am playing around in the more trebley area in general now for different things and liking it.

Go figure.

2 Likes