Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

So this is some overkill sitting in my dining room until I can get someone to help me take it downstairs - yeah, it’s a 2-man lift - which just proves it was ridiculous of me to get:

That’s way more power than I can ever use - and its heavy enough that we’ll strap ourselves to it if there’s a tornado. But I’m “midwestern thrifty” [cheap AF] and can’t turn down a good deal. The price was kinda-sorta good - but I talked with the guy for about 2 hours - he realized it’s too much for me, I know it’s too much for me - but for some reason he couldn’t let me leave without it. “You gotta feel this baby push air into the back of your legs, man!” - so the deal got good enough I couldn’t walk away.

• Ampeg BXT 210M(400 Watts RMS, 800 Peak)
  • Ampeg BXT 115HL (300 Watts RMS, 600 Peak)
  • Ampeg B2RE Amplifier (450 Watts RMS 4 ohm load, 250 Watts RMS, 8 ohm load) - Rack Mount
  • Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner with Lights - Rack Mount

If I keep the power conditioner, the stack officially weighs 197.5lbs; the 15" is 105lbs on it’s own.

Local retired gigging funk musician bought it new 23 years ago, gigged with it for about 20, but has been holding onto it for sentimental reasons since switching to lighter more powerful gear. He plays a 1000w into 3 cabs (if he wants) from a TC unit now and his entire rig weighs less than the 15" Ampeg alone, but he mostly goes to a house system nowadays apparently. Gave it to me for a large discount because I’m a “player” and the other interested parties we’re re-sellers. If he only knew what a fledgling player I am. It was joy to see him demo it on an EBMM Ray5, and I kept looking over to the rest of his filled stand trying not to drool! He offered to let me play but 1) I suck something powerful 2) I have never even touched a 5-string and 3) I was afraid to hold a bass as expensive as his.

I can see why most players looked past his ad — it’s just too much to reasonably need outside gigging and I’m a long way from that. And most gigging guys are probably looking for nice, light, modern Class D stuff. But now it’s mine.

My wife is not happy.

Edit: It’s a mismatched set. 2x10" are 8ohms and 15" is 4ohms = 2.667 ohms (I think - been a long time since physics). The manual says to stay above 4 - but this guy assured me he’s played it hundreds of times over 20 years and doesn’t have problems - and that someone way back actually recommended a mismatch to him to solve something that frankly was above my head while he explained it. I can’t imagine ever turning this up past about 3, so I’m going to take him at his word and not worry.

11 Likes

MAN! Congratulations on this buy. THAT’S A BEAST!

This is that kind of setup you never use to full power, until that one day when you are in the middle of nowhere, up in the mountains somewhere, in a cabin up in the hill, with this plugged in and aimed straight on the other side of the valley … The next that’s happening is a grizzly bear listening to the thundering noise of Billie Jean bassline mixed with the noise of an avalanche falling somewhere in his neighborhood.

5 Likes

Nothing exceeds like excess! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Very nice setup, @KenKnight . . . :slight_smile:

Looks really killer! :+1:

Wishing you good luck and many happy hours of playing,
Joe

4 Likes

Ain’t no kill like overkill. Why swat the fly, if you can nuke it :smiley:

6 Likes

If it’s worth doin’, it’s worth over do’in!

congrats!

4 Likes

Bronze Just-a-Nut III fitted
Fingerboard Oiled
Rotosound RS66LD installed

Enough with the mods (for now). Time to play! :smiling_imp:

14 Likes

Enjoy :wink:

5 Likes

I have those in my cart!

3 Likes

Zing, zing! Especially with that brass nut.
Yum. I love these strings (medium weight cheese graters :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Picked up my Jaguar today, they finally figured out the wiring. She sounds way different; the EMG active pickups are terrific, and whether it is the pickups or the Hipshot bridge, the sustain is extraordinary, I may change the pickguard to something textured in black.

It never ends. Only item is the stacked control knob for the EQ. When you turn one knob, they both turn. I’ve ordered some black chrome knobs, will mess with it then.

7 Likes

That’s an interesting set of your saddles. I’ve never seen the A saddle that far ahead, usually they’re roughly in a diagonal line with the E being the furthest from the neck. What strings are those?

1 Like

I think you’ll like them.

1 Like

Strings are NYXLs. The Luthier did a setup and she is playing nicely. And there is a compartment under the pickguard which was routed out to hold the two 9v batteries, forgot to mention that.

4 Likes

Have you checked the intonation? I agree that looks weird.

1 Like

The intonation on the A string is a little off, the others are fine. I will adjust in the morning when I am more awake

3 Likes

I had that on my Jaguar too.
Loosen the top knob, raise 1mm and re-tighten. That should stop them dragging on each other.

4 Likes

If that all black Jaguar ever becomes available in Europe I don’t think I’ll be able to resist. It’s :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Willing to bet it ends up between the E and D saddles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay I caved :flushed:
Wenge tuning pegs ordered today.
I’m blaming you @HowlinDawg if anyone asks :joy:

5 Likes