Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Sometimes @PamPurrs, the old cliche of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is really the best answer… :grin:

8 Likes

So so true @LesterH!! A better hammer doesn’t always mean that you’ll always hit the nail… And in the end when you do miss and smack a finger, the pain still feels the same…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

10 Likes

So very true. I used to teach a culinary class and had students who started out by spending $5,000 on state of the art gadgets and top of the line cookware and cutlery, thinking that would move them to the head of the class. But no matter what I tried to teach them, they couldn’t cook a hot dog without f**king it up.
A good chef can make a masterful meal with an 8 inch chef knife, a saute pan, and a saucier.

9 Likes

@PamPurrs That is right you nailed it on the head!

6 Likes

Excellent choice. The BB235 is already a nice bass in a great line, the YGD pickups are already very good, and rather than upgrade the pups on a BB235 it would be smarter to sell it and buy a BB435 or 735A anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve already got my eye on a BB735

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree with the super high priced equipment. I feel you really need to grow before you can go to that end of the spectrum. on the other hand, in my short time of playing, I have had some higher end and low end basses, and in the end I settled down to a $300 bass as my main axe. I also have the model 2 jumps above it, and I can tell the difference when I play it. I am looking to expand with a 2nd one, the RAY34, and I think at this point, I will be more then happy. I love the playability of my Ray4, and I love the step up feel of the Ray34. I am almpst certain, if I went and got the EBMM Stingray that I want, that I would love it and know the difference when playing it.
But I am not at that level, and even tho I could probably tell the difference, it is not going to make me a better player. So I can be happy with my basses that are 1/3 the cost for a good long time.
I will keep that dream bass on my bucket list, and at some point, when I feel I have put my time in, and am at THAT LEVEL, and if I have put enough money into the BASS SAVINGS from flipping equipment over time, then I will get that bass. For now, I will keep it a step simpler with the very well made clone.

4 Likes

Probably one of the best production basses made today. I came really close to buying a BB734A.

My bass idol’s son loves them. In addition to being in his dad’s band, he’s also the touring bassist for Smashing Pumpkins. Opinion is pretty legit :slight_smile:

Playing his dad’s song there in the intro, brings a tear to the eye :slight_smile:

Honestly - I could still see myself buying one in the future. It’s that good.

Whoa. Apparently Peter Hook has moved to using one too.

Yeah, solid bass.

5 Likes

I think I accidentally bought the perfect beginner bass a year and a half ago. I would recommend the Yamaha BB234 (4 string) OR BB235 (5 string) to anyone.

6 Likes

The whole BroadBass line is a fantastic classic. I don’t think they ever made a bad BB.

You really can’t go wrong with Yamaha in general.

3 Likes

yeah @PamPurrs , a very good choice for sure.

5 Likes

Well I feel sorry for him. Cuz that guy’s a dick.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs I have a BB734 and absolutely love it. Some people complain about the hum you get on the bridge pickup and upgrade to a humbucking one. I’ve seen several people upgrade their BB734 pickups with Aguilar PJ set (AG4PJ-HCPU). I was contemplating this, but to be honest I don’t hear a hum unless my amp gain is very high AND treble/tone is maxed AND using the bridge pickup only, which is never.

Cant go wrong with a BB735

3 Likes

Thanks I’ve got an alert setup for whenever Guitar Center gets the BB735 in.

4 Likes

That actually sounds like a normal J pickup to me :slight_smile:

I haven’t noticed any noise on any 734 I have tried. Feel great, play great, sound amazing.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Big time.

3 Likes

I’m faced with this choice of MM StingRay or Yammie BB735. I’m already a Yamaha BB fan, and my first Ray is on its way. I wish I could afford both.

1 Like

So you wanna here one of my (many) rock star stories?

4 Likes

Always :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, Pam does. So 80’s, I was the head bartender at club dreamerz in Chicago, a famous punk rock bar (you can Google dreamerz nirvana to download a bootleg of them playing there, I’ve got stories about them too). I was friends with benefits with a girl named Sarah who later became world famous as goth dj/musician/personally scary lady Sarah. And her best friend was a cute, sweet girl with great legs named Darcy. When I mentioned this to Sarah, she told me Darcy always wore dark leggings because she had scars on her legs because she was hit by a truck and dragged down the street when she was a kid. So one day we went to darcys apartment to pick her up and I noticed a bass lying on her sofa. Darcy played keyboards. Being a guy that (tried to) play bass in a punk rock band at the time, I said hey I didn’t know you played bass. And Darcy said I don’t, but these guys I know want me to play bass for them. Hey, maybe you could teach me? And I laughed and said you should get somebody better than me to teach you :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes