Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Updated my computer!!

For the past year I’ve been dealing with computer problems during recordings and mixing - not to mention many other things…. Granted, the MacBook Pro that I’ve been using is pretty old anyway, but the damn thing finally took a dump a few days ago….

The battery swelled up so much that it damn bear popped the back of the laptop off! Friggin’ thing was so bulged in the middle that it looked like it grew it’s own beer belly!!…. Wouldn’t even set flat on my desk and would just rock and roll around like a friggin’ turtle on it’s shell tryin’ to flip back over…. So glad I caught it before it exploded and started a fire…

So now, no more laptops to do my recording - went to the 27” iMac and now all is good!! Huge screen for my old eyes, and once I put in some new (larger) memory chips I’ll be able to lay down tons more tracks on my DAW without any problems.

Yup, a great upgrade to my music studio!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

12 Likes

That’s what I fingered :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had one of those 27" iMac at my last job, great computer. I also had a Macbook Air which has probably been one of my favorite computer ever (and I’ve had dozens of computers since the 90’s). Damn, I miss this Macbook Air.

I’m more a PC / Windows user, but yeah, those Apple are not bad really. I plan to buy a Mac Mini soon, again for work-things (I need a Mac for Xcode).

4 Likes

I’m overall a Mac user, but for my CAD, programming and music, I recently bought an old Dell PC. I maxed the RAM and put in an SSD drive. I had originally planned to run BSD unix on it, but it had problems with peripherals. So I installed Ubuntu linux, an it howls. I’m really sick of the way Apple is going with its systems and environment lock-in. They’re the new Micro$oft.

4 Likes

Agree…. I’ve used both Apple and MS…. Since I’ve used Mac for so many years now (for music), I figured that I’d just get another Mac so that all of my music files would still be accessible and all…

4 Likes

I’ve resigned myself to using all three for more than a decade. I actually did make a really serious stab at going only linux but it’s just not tenable if you care about software selection, especially for games. You can go surprisingly far with winex and so on but it’s just a shitty experience in the end.

So I have had all three - dual boot Windows/Ubuntu, and macs - for a really long time.

I always try and talk relatives into macs though because them asking me for free tech support is almost nonexistent compared to windows :rofl:

Man, I had this 11" MacBook Air that wasn’t super powerful, but for what you could do on it, it might be my favorite computer I have ever owned. So small and light, and worked so well. Used to take it everywhere; was great for cafes. I miss it. The new ones are much larger.

3 Likes

Good to see you back @Lanny

4 Likes

Yeah. I have a my Linux box as my workhorse. From work I have a Mac Air, on which I refuse to upgrade from Mojave.

I also have a 2011 Macbook Pro which has maxed out ram and an SSD. This one runs High Sierra, and I refuse to upgrade this as well. If and when Tim Cook stops supporting it, I’ll load either BSD or Ubuntu on it. This is my absolute favorite machine. I did all of my B2B on it, my 3D design and R programming as well. It’s just a bit lacking in horsepower and they keep discontinuing apps for it.

2 Likes

Old mac minis make great little ubuntu machines too. Just throw them in a closet with some USB drives and you have a cheap NAS.

3 Likes

The saga continues. Having spent an hour or so in the moaning chair, I decided that no copper wire as thin as half a blond one will beat me. So, to wit, ad rem and alors. The break was in the wire that came off one coil and led to the crossover into the other coil. It was held in place on the coil by a piece of tape. I unpeeled a corner of the tape, and then unwound one turn of the wire. I then soldered it in place over the crossover, and voila! Eet workz! I saved it, and it plays reasonably well. I just can’t tell if that one wind degraded the sound in any way.

I’ll try to post a before and after sound sample tomorrow. However first impressions are that the neck pickup became much thumpier, richer. In fact, it’s a lot like a P-bass sound. The neck is still burpy in that J-bass way, but is rounder, richer. I actually have to dial the neck pup down about 30-40%, because of the additional depth of sound

6 Likes

Wow! This is so gorgeous, best pickguard ever!

3 Likes

one turn of wire would not change anything, don’t worry for that ! and congrats for the repair !

6 Likes

Sort of a forced upgrade tonight after an incident involving one of my Brumbies ( wild horses) , a lead and my amp!
I was wanting a more portable system anyway and although I did consider going ampless I really couldn’t get my head around it so I’ve ordered a little 50w Nux combo.

Hopefully it will be as good as the reviews sound :pray:t2:

5 Likes

Please let me know what you think of it.
Wanting something like this to hide upstairs.
I have the Joyo which is ok but junkie sounding.
Rumble 40 too big, this looks like a good size.

4 Likes

Certainly will do @John_E

3 Likes

Sounds like something from a Pratchett novel:
" Corporal Carrot became Sergeant Carrot and, in the fullness of time, died in uniform aged seventy in an unlikely accident involving an anteater."

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Didn’t Carrot become a captain?

3 Likes

Yeah, he did. This was a footnote in men at arms, and was part of a quick look into an alternate universe

Well spotted!

2 Likes

Courier has been!

13 Likes