Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

I’m still zeroing in on my setup with the Model P’s. Right now I have them at 2.5mm bass side and 2mm treble side and they are sounding pretty good. I had them a bit too high when I recorded the above samples.

Absolutely great pickups. P-basses are perfect for ceramic pickups I think. They really benefit from the clarity in the highs.

5 Likes

I don’t know if I mentioned it before but these Fender rounds really aren’t bad at all.

Not stellar, but not bad. Better than average, remind me of EBMM Slinkys or something.

4 Likes

Thinking of upgrading the pickup and elwctrnics on my ibanez gabx. Trying to find an emg option but will likely need to drill a hole. I like the way it plays but the 3-way tone toggle switch is worthless.

4 Likes

Change the toggle switch for a tone pot.

3 Likes

If I knew how to solder and understood wiring harnesses.

3 Likes

Don’t think so? A EMG MM/TW is only volume and tone. You don’t really need a pull pot with a single pickup, but that is still 2 holes you need for the pots.

I can’t solder either so maybe bring it to a luthier to install it for you. Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

@Paul EMGs are solderless plug n play Their push pull pots are for doing coil splits on compatable humbuckers. You are right that i wouldn’t need to drill a new hole if I just replaced the tone selecter with a tone knob.

Emg dc40 will work i think

5 Likes

I was going to wait a bit to upgrade the new Bass VI components but already see the issues that folks talk about with the OEM parts. Is it doable to set it up as is, with some “cheats” (reversing the bridge, etc) - yes, but I decided to say “why”. If I am going to reverse the bridge, then why not just put the upgraded one I already have on…and so on and so on.

Over the past few months waiting for the bass to come, I have done a bunch of research on what to upgrade, and what is acceptable as is.

So, the upgrades are…

• Stay-Trem bridge - the OEM bridge originally was 1" wide, giving lost of room for intonation. The current bridge is 1/2" and creates intonation issues unless you ‘reverse’ it. It also does not fit snug in the receivers so tilts. The two reco’ed replacements are a AVRI bridge from Fender or the Stay-Trem (out of UK). People rave about the Stay-Trem and how it helps keep intonation etc. So that’s what I picked.
  • Mastery Tremelo Lots of complaints about the crappy OEM tremelo, and how keeping in tune is near impossible etc, so. The leading reco is from Mastery.
  • Pickups - Having never met a Squier pickup I loved anyway, many recommend a lot of different upgrade options… Curtis Novak makes a set specifically for this purpose so went wtih them.
  • Electronics - not for today - the pots are 1M ohm and the cap is a 50nf on the tone pot. There are a slew of opinions on what to do here, so will leave for now and see how it sounds as is.
  • Straplocks - a given
  • Nut - its a cheap plastic nut that everyone says is too weak for the strings so this will be forthcoming after some research and sanding.
  • Strings - the strings that come with it are thinner than most people say work well, giving a very floppy low E. You can do rounds or flats on this but I decided to go with flats. Most replacement string sets for these are thicker all around. I decided to use Labella Bass VI flats.

My anticipated fall project will be this week/weekend now, lol.

11 Likes

what a cute little thing

9 Likes

Six strings and a Tremolo… you say it’s a what now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Six strings, three pickups and a tremolo.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…it’s a :duck:

7 Likes
4 Likes

That’s marketing…

At least they start by admitting it’s controversial.

3 Likes

I didn’t make it to the weekend, lol.
all upgrades in and quite happy.
Tone is really unique and fun.
Now to get used to the spacing and picking.

An interesting point…
The Mastery vibrato (a highe end bit of kit) caused me some greif as the Labella low E flat would not fully fit in the hole. The part the wraps back the end of the winding is bumpy and too wide.

Labella says ‘not our falt, we don’t design to aftermarket parts, only Fender spec’.
Mastery (the owner) says ‘happens here and there, it’s Labella’s inconsistency, only string that gives them greif, sometimes even on the A string’.

Fix was a bit of simple filing, but still annoying.
This is the third low E string related issue with LaBella’s I have had.
The local luthier here complains very vocally on LaBella’s quality of late.

Net/net it is all done and very happy with it.

(yes, I know it looks basically exactly the same, lol).

This is my first experience with a floating (aka pivoting) bridge and vibrato/tremelo.
I saw instantly the difference in not only build quality but performance in the upgraded bits.
Goes right back into tune very well now, not even close prior (which begs the question, why bother making parts that don’t really work, but that’s another topic, I guess it is just assumed it will be upgraded).

Overall the Squier is solid, some small fit and finish things, but nothing major.
Neck is great feeling.
Inlays have some small gaps around them.
Capacitors are cheap, will swap out those and pots eventually when I order the correct 1M ohm replacements.
Paint and binding are solid.
Nut is soft plastic crap (next project is order a real bone nut and swap out).

Overall a good instrument once you put the upgrades in.
Mastery vibrato = $190
Staytrem bridge = $90
Curtis Novack pickups =$390 - these buggers were pricey, worth it? I dunno, not much to compare to as I did not keep the OEMs in very long, they were not well thought of.

So $670 in upgrades on a bass that cost $520, for an all in cost of $1,190 Bass VI that now rivals (or in some ways exceeds) the quality of a Fender (only used now) at twice the price and up.

7 Likes

Thats very interesting @John_E. I’ve often thought about trying a bass IV. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on it, especially after these upgrades.

3 Likes

Hmm. Flats with what look like strat-style single coils will be an interesting choice. I’d have just changed string types before filing the hardware :slight_smile:

Cool project though. Very nice upgrades. Congrats on getting it all in so fast :slight_smile:

Trems are so wonky. I actually dislike them, and have always just tightened them down hard and left the bar off. They are one of those things you think you’ll want and then for me anyway were just pointless hassle once I had them. Curious how much you’ll like yours (and use it).

The concept of this thing is cool. And the looks are stellar. Neat unique instrument.

3 Likes

I will say I like how the rounds sounded, even if crappy ones. I would say one day is our rounds on to see what happens Vs flats. Loads of folks put flats on this bass though.

I actually never have to use the trem, as I have that Bigsby pedal and therefore don’t need to worry about tuning issues. I like the dangly arm though. Lol.

Thanks man! Ya it’s pretty rad. Way better than the standard burst with the “salami” pickguard, as Gregor calls them.

4 Likes

Well I’ve got an upgrade in the works. I went to the EMG reverb site and bought two P pickups in a soapbar housing, b-stock pickups. They don’t come with any installation hardware.

Which is okay. Going to pop them into my stream and turn it into a double P. Should take all of 10 minutes, most of that in retuning

8 Likes

Today I added a Realist Lifeline pickup to my double bass. Now, I’ll be able to play through my sound system and record covers (wink wink). I’ll also be able to play with loud bandmates by plugging into the amp.

9 Likes

And I see the rose is in its rightful place as well, @PamPurrs .

4 Likes