Upgrade Day! Anyone Else Upgrading?

Yes, Sara took care of that right quick!

3 Likes

Wow. Hipshot stuff is getting kind of scarce. I had to make three different orders to get four Ultralite tuners in the color I wanted.

It might just be the USA Ultralites that are scarce, but the licensed Ultralites are not even something I would consider. Machined aluminum versus cast zinc? Please. That’s a big, big quality difference.

5 Likes

Yep, I agree. My set was USA for that reason. They cost more, but they’re the real deal. Accept no substituteskys.

3 Likes

I’d be totally happy to buy the MIK ones if they used the same process to make it, but cast zinc is far lower quality and strength than machined aluminum.

I’m actually not a cast zinc hater, it has its place in a lot of products, but this one’s a no brainer.

3 Likes

I detest cast stuff or monkey metal as I like to call it on machinery. It’s just impossible to repair and so easy to break/crack

3 Likes

“pot metal” is a pretty common term for cast stuff like that too.

3 Likes

Been scarce for quite a while. They’ve had a lot of COVID related issues. They are a super small, super mismanaged company. Add in COVID supply chain and employment issues and the trend to upgrade everything in sight and you have a mess.

3 Likes

Had to resort to US Ebay for the last two.

2 Likes

Love the shell pink.

1 Like

Seymour Duncan SPB1 installed. Rotosound 77 flats

Sounds good, but the knobs don’t fit the shafts

It’s always something. if it’s not one thing then it’s another

(That’s Roseanne Roseannadana if I remember correctly)

9 Likes

Not a big fan of the pale blue but I love it in combination with that strap :+1:t3:

4 Likes

They have two excellent versions of this in Polish:

If it’s not a curse, then it’s the shits.

If it’s not a curse, then it’s the marching Soviets.

3 Likes

Looks good @Wombat-metal

How do you find the strings feel and play?

3 Likes

Let us know how you like them over time. I have them on the LTD (came standard) and I’m using GHS Boomers. So far I think they are fine, but I’m not leaning towards spectacular.

2 Likes

I’ll have to let them break in a bit because they are quite bright, but I like them. They are smooth and have a more balanced tone than LaBellas. I got these in a lighter gauge - 40/60/89/100 - just to ease the tension a bit I think they would sit very well in a mix.

I only put in the SPB1 as I had it, replacing it in the MDB5 with an SPB4, which I really love.

Will do

3 Likes

I love it actually, it matches quite well my Esquire :grin:

(those are not the two same blue, the Precision is a “sonic blue” I think, whereas my Esquire is “daphne blue”)

5 Likes

My jazz bass is sonic blue iirc. I love it too. That tele looks sweet

6 Likes

yeah I like this guitar. that’s an Esquire, because it has no neck pickup :slight_smile: but otherwise it’s the same thing than a Telecaster.

5 Likes

Ohh you don’t see that often. I like the neck pickup on a tele.

3 Likes

You are correct, sir!

2 Likes