Wearing headphones while taking lessons

Hey Folks, I’m currently playing my bass through my amp while I watch Josh’s lesson on my laptop. This isn’t ideal because the low notes from the amp bleed though the walls to my wife’s home office.

I need a way to be able to wear a pair of headphones that would play both the sound from Josh’s lessons and my bass playing at the same time so that I wouldn’t be disturbing my wife in the next room. I’m hoping there’s a way to accomplish this but I haven’t been able to figure out how to set it up yet.

Any suggestions?

4 Likes

Does your amp have Direct Out?

4 Likes

Connect your phone/tablet/laptop (or whatever you’re watching the lessons on) to your amp’s aux input, and plug the headphones into the amp

6 Likes

Not every amp has an aux in… @Steve.A what type of amp do you have?

5 Likes

Because I was concerned about the low sounds bleeding through the walls, I deliberately bought an amp that I thought wouldn’t be a problem because it was so small.

This is the one I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MXG7JYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She doesn’t complain about the sound but I know I wouldn’t want to have to hear a complete beginner practicing a bass in the next room. :grin:

I just looked and I see that it does have Aux input and a headphone output! I had no idea it would be this easy to solve my problem.

Thank you experts!

-Steve

8 Likes

I have it all hooked up now and I feel like I’m really hearing my new bass for the very first time! It sounds so much fuller and more robust through the headphones and now my wife won’t have to listen to my abysmal ‘playing’ anymore. :laughing:

8 Likes

Good for you! Good headphones beat a mediocre amp any time :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Same for me. Bought lightly used Audio Technica m50x into my little amp to use with the B2B course and it’s all I need.

2 Likes