Wearing headphones while taking lessons

Hey Folks, I’m currently playing my bass through my amp while I watch Josh’s lesson on my laptop. This isn’t ideal because the low notes from the amp bleed though the walls to my wife’s home office.

I need a way to be able to wear a pair of headphones that would play both the sound from Josh’s lessons and my bass playing at the same time so that I wouldn’t be disturbing my wife in the next room. I’m hoping there’s a way to accomplish this but I haven’t been able to figure out how to set it up yet.

Any suggestions?

4 Likes

Does your amp have Direct Out?

4 Likes

Connect your phone/tablet/laptop (or whatever you’re watching the lessons on) to your amp’s aux input, and plug the headphones into the amp

6 Likes

Not every amp has an aux in… @NipperDog what type of amp do you have?

5 Likes

Because I was concerned about the low sounds bleeding through the walls, I deliberately bought an amp that I thought wouldn’t be a problem because it was so small.

This is the one I went with: Amazon.com

She doesn’t complain about the sound but I know I wouldn’t want to have to hear a complete beginner practicing a bass in the next room. :grin:

I just looked and I see that it does have Aux input and a headphone output! I had no idea it would be this easy to solve my problem.

Thank you experts!

-Steve

9 Likes

I have it all hooked up now and I feel like I’m really hearing my new bass for the very first time! It sounds so much fuller and more robust through the headphones and now my wife won’t have to listen to my abysmal ‘playing’ anymore. :laughing:

10 Likes

Good for you! Good headphones beat a mediocre amp any time :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Same for me. Bought lightly used Audio Technica m50x into my little amp to use with the B2B course and it’s all I need.

2 Likes

What headphones are you liking?

I’ve been using a pair of Sony MDR7506 over the ear headphones with good results.

1 Like

Really good monitors, at one point the previous version was the most used studio monitor headphone. Good choice.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know that! :+1:t3:

How is this working out for you @NipperDog ?
Thinking about getting something like this to play outside and not have to have headphones but keep the volume low enough that no one throws things at me.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check those out. I’ve been using the Sennheiser HD-280 for the same price. While I like the Sennheiser just fine for general use, I’m not sure they are my favorite for bass practice.

2 Likes

@NipperDog you can forgo the amp altogether and grab a headphone amp like this:. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAUKJTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_F9EPDM1TS95XGWVBD7EP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Now with a short instrument cable and a laptop you can jam with Josh anywhere.

I can’t remember who makes it… But one manufacturer makes bass headphones with the amp built in… Just plug headphone directly into instrument… Not sure if those have an aux in though. Anyone tried them?

1 Like

I have zero complaints. I use it with headphones because I really have no reason (yet) to buy a real amp. I think of this unit as my practice amp.

1 Like

I’m more interested in the speaker and using it as a quieter amp on the patio so I don’t need headphones.

2 Likes

I think you should try it. It sounds good for being such a small portable unit.

Not that I need another amp; but for the money that little Joyo amp sounds pretty good.
I’ve played their Joyo Jam Buddy amp on my guitar and that thing was ridiculously great for the price.

Can also recommend the Fly 3 Bass from Blackstar for a mobile amp. It’s about half the size of the JOYO.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fly3Bass--blackstar-fly-3-bass-3-watt-1x3-inch-bass-combo-amp

Madmalko has a nice summary at the end of his vid between those two: https://youtu.be/sAyh4hRpR00 (it’s a bit wee hard to understand)