What albums can you listen all the way through?

Cocteau Twins - The Pink Opaque

3 Likes

This is true - sometimes I don’t even listen to whole songs :frowning:

2 Likes

Ah @autumnsdad1990 - but can you sit down and listen to the whole album in one go? That’s the challenge :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @howard ! Saved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do love that movie. My wife finds it too slow, but for me is great.

2 Likes

For me it’s the opposite. I have a need to listen to an album “as a whole”, if possible reading the liner notes. Examples, besides the already mentioned Pink Floyd: Kind or blue, A love supreme, to namesome of the more obvious. For a recent example, I will mention Wong 's cafe last vynil. I will add more: for me the fascination with LP is precisely in the fact that you are listening to an opus as a whole not to “tracks”. It’s not in the “warmer” tone or in the supposedly different auditory experience (my ears don’t work so well, sadly).

3 Likes

That’s a little rough. Unless I’m in the car for an extended period. Even then my girl wants to do that talking thing. And I’m gonna do that because she’s amazing. So, no. I probably can’t.

2 Likes

This is a big problem these days - the pace of life. It’s tough to make an hour for yourself when you’re not available for work, calls etc. Maybe this is why albums are less popular?

2 Likes

There are too many albums to list here, so I’ll just give you the one that’s on heavy rotation at the moment: My Sleeping Karma - Mela Ananda :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Somebody should definitely look at doing some of these songs for the ‘post your covers’ thread.

5 Likes

pretty much my whole collection. I don’t even really get the concept of NOT listening to an album all the way through. i mean there may be a song or two you’re not crazy about or maybe even hate. but when records were records and there was no “skip” button on your remote, you certainly didn’t get up and manually pick up the tonearm and try to skip the song. and just putting on an album and just listening to one song would be even sillier.

7 Likes

I love the slow deliberate pacing, it’s what keeps me coming back to it and watching it again.

A meditation on loneliness and what it means to be human. What makes you,you? It’s brilliant.

2 Likes

Oh Great choice! Where have they been all my life ? :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This is true - and it was kind of the same for walkmans. It was a real pain to have to fast forward through an album and flip it over to skip through an album. Hence the mixtape :wink:

3 Likes

Speaking of great soundtracks to listen all the way through to….Lost Highway

1 Like

I have tried to get back into listening to albums again and to stop listening to random streaming music. Its nice to listen to older albums that have a common narrative or thematic thread that binds the songs together with a natural flow. Here are 3 that I have have recently been listening to that achieve that (there are too many to list!):

13 Tales from Urban Bohemia - The Dandy Warhols
They have lots of radio friendly and immediately catchy tunes on other albums - this one is a bit of a slow burner with slightly more experimental sounds. The first 3 songs are mostly instrumentals and all flow together nicely and really ramp up the rock with the 3rd one Nietzsche. After the first 3 songs you’ll know if you’re going to love or hate this album. Give it a shot!

American Idiot - Green Day
Everyone knows the singles from this album, it was huge and 5 of these songs still get regular airplay on rock stations. However it’s worth going back to the actual album, which was constructed to tell a flowing story. This is their take on rock opera, and the songs all work better in context and in order. Such an easy album to listen to. If I have this on at work, all the customers love it.

Rest - Charlotte Gainsbourg
Different style of music here, this is more minimalist electro pop, but highly atmospheric. If you like the song ‘Deadly Valentine’ then you’ll probably love the album.

2 Likes

Everybody’s going to want to do The Chain though

3 Likes

Guilty as charged.

4 Likes

You know what - I’ve never listed all through this album in one go, just the single releases. Sounds like it could be worth a spin though …

Oh my wife is going to love this ! I might stick it on in the car or maybe on a quiet evening :wink:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like