What albums can you listen all the way through?

“Go Your Own Way” and “Dreams” are better overall songs than “The Chain”, IMO. But bassline wise, yeah, that’s a standout.

It’s funny; Fleetwood Mac is in a genre of music I am not a fan of at all but that album is just really good, no arguing with it. The blend of the soft pop-rock surface with the obvious tension, anger, and recrimination underneath it all is really compelling.

7 Likes

Deep Purple : Machine Head
Saga : Network and World’s Apart

4 Likes

Whoa, I haven’t thought of Saga in a long time. Blast from the past. I’d completely forgotten about them :slight_smile:

1 Like

I much prefer the Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac era (which I had no idea existed until about 2 years ago) - what an eye opener.

Which, gives way to another great ‘play it through’ album.

4 Likes

I actually like some of their stuff a lot, that’s the odd thing - it’s totally a “me” thing, I generally can’t stand soft rock. “Rhiannon” is fantastic, for example.

One of my all time favorite albums is Operation:Mindcrime by Queensryche. Much like Pink Floyd’s The Wall, it tells a story from beginning to end. When I was younger (read: about 19), I’d lie on my bed with my eyes closed and listen to it through headphones. It’s like a movie without images (if that makes any sense).

5 Likes

Oh I remember them! Late 80s? I think I saw them at Hammersmith odeon. Most of the album was a bit above my head back then but maybe it’s time to give it another go …

2 Likes

No Vengaboys / 2 Unlimited @Mike_NL ?

2 Likes

When I was learning Albatross I started much like you to listen to their older stuff. It’s very different.

Oooh, neat thread!

For me, most of the “albums” that I listen to end-to-end are usually lumped under the “progressive rock” label. There are some exceptions. But these are the ones that immediately come to mind (in no particular order):

• Dream Theater - Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
  • Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
  • Porcupine Tree - The Incident
  • District 97 - Hybrid Child
  • District 97 - Trouble with Machines
  • Rewiring Genesis - A Tribute to the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
  • Queensryche - Empire
  • Transatlantic - SMTP:E
  • Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
  • Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
  • Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
  • Opeth - Ghost Reveries
  • Tom Morello - The Atlas Underground
2 Likes

AC/DC - Back in Black
Metallica - Metallica
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
Whitesnake - Whitesnake

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Great album. Top notch. :slight_smile:

Oh, wow, I haven’t listened to that in ages. I think I’ll have to do that today. Back in one of my HS music appreciation classes, we did a whole unit on that album.

3 Likes

Really enjoying this topic, and a lot great suggestions. Some of my favorites that seem to have little to no “filler” to me:

• Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
  • Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
  • Tom Petty - Wildflowers
  • The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
  • Death Cab - Plans
3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbCOMM8peo
→ “The Who - Who’s Next?” ←
I’m always curious about the discography of a band I’ve neglected in the past. Though “Who’s Next” is quite popular and praised, being an 80s/90s kid I had no idea that “Behind Blue Eyes” was by The Who (shame on me). It’s like Limp Bizkit simply took out the parts I like best about the original. A great album with great songs!

Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!

2 Likes

And here’s a HOT :fire: big band album I just cannot stop listening to:

It’s not a compilation as claimed by spotify but a studio album from 1973.

1 Like

I also love listening to full albums! Here are some of my favorites. I must have grown up in the 90’s.

The Cure - any album before 2001
blink 182 - almost any album
311 - any album
Oingo Bingo - any album
EMF - Schubert Dip
Green Day - Dookie
In the Valley Below - Pink Chateau
Muse - any album
Nada Surf - Hi/Low
The Offspring - Smash
The Origin - The Origin
Modern English - After the Snow
Pixies - Doolittle
RHCP - Unlimited Love
Sugar Ray - Floored and 14:59
Trio - Trio and Error
Third Eye Blind - the red album
Material Issue - International Pop Overthrow

3 Likes

Dead Man’s Party! I haven’t listened to that in forever

1 Like

Close to the Edge, all three songs are masterpieces

Anything that is Earth, Wind & Fire; Stevie Wonder and Hezekiah Walker.

1 Like