What albums can you listen all the way through?

Amazed no one has mentioned Rush: 2112 yet :rofl:

Oh yeah! Good call. Though I would extend this to “Any release on 4AD records in the '80s or early '90s”.

For Modern English I really recommend the extended version of Mesh and Lace, because you really want to get “16 days” and “Gathering Dust”, IMO their best work. Especially when played like they usually are, mashed together. But,

• Any Cocteau Twins from that era (especially Garlands)
  • Any This Mortal Coil (4AD’s house band, many of the artists rotated through)
  • Any Dead Can Dance
  • Any Pixies
  • Any Lush

4AD was just such a solid label in the '80s and '90s. Ivo was a genius.

Liz Fraser and Robin Guthrie covered “16 days/Gathering Dust” as This Mortal Coil and made a masterpiece of the era. Here’s a version that skips about a minute and a half of intro and gets to the point fast:

Full version (with beter audio too):

Here’s Garlands (a fantastic end-to-end listen):

2 Likes

Every human should experience listening to “DSOTM” at least once in a lifetime, alone in your bedroom with lights switched off. I’d go so far as classifying it a spiritual experience.

Another prog-rock classic from said era (early 70s) Id highly recommend is Supertramp’s “Crime of the Century”. An incredible effort for a band’s debut release. imo.

2 Likes

Good call

Funny, I know exactly one of their tunes ans actual thought today “I wonder what the rest of the album sounds like”. On the to do list now

Some repeats that I saw mentioned above:
The Lion and the Cobra - really happy to see this get multiple recommendations - fantastic album
American Idiot - I like most of Green Day’s albums, but this one is the most “cohesive” to me
Early REM - picking one, it would be Fables of the Reconstruction
Metallica - Master of Puppets, but really, any of their first 4 or 5

My Pink Floyd album would be The Wall - listened to end to end may, many times. I know it’s heretical, but I’m not a huge fan of Dark Side. If I picked a 2nd Floyd album, it would be Animals. That album is just fantastic.

My Who album would be Quadrophenia. That has long been my favorite Who album. Although, someone mentioned “Who’s Next”, and we always said that should have just been called “Who’s Best” - every song on it is great.

Rush - Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres. Love, love, love both of these. Really, any Rush album would make the list, but these 2 specifically.

AC/DC - Bon Scott era - Highway to Hell, Powerage, '74 Jailbreak, If you want Blood. Hard to pick just 1.

Blind Melon - Blind Melon - like every song on this album

Blues Traveler - Four - again, enjoy every song

Morphine - Cure for Pain/Yes - not hitting skip on either

There are a lot more albums that I love, but don’t really fit the “lay in a dark room and zone out”…

Enjoyed reading everyone’s suggestions!

2 Likes

Another left field soundtrack suggestion. Today in work I listened to the entire brilliant score by Ennio Morricone for Nuovo Cinema Paradiso. The music is so well composed and I’ve seen the film so many times that I was imagining it as I worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlQh4PeB8PE

1 Like

I had a college roommate who was a diehard Rush fan. Not unusual for him to play Tom Sawyer 25 times in a row, just picking up the needle and starting it over. Sadly I’ve never listened to Rush as a result.

3 Likes

Just working through Fleetwood Mac - Rumours now. Great album - not a single weak track! I’d actually heard a lot of the songs before but never knew they were by FM :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d thought “Don’t Stop” was Boston for a long time back in the day :slight_smile:

If you could drop “Rhiannon” on that album, it would be more or less everything I liked from Fleetwood Mac. Throw in “Edge of Seventeen” and you’d pretty much have post-Mac Stevie covered too.

2 Likes

i am unfortunately old enough to remember when it came out. literally every single song on the album except one got significant airplay on the big AM music stations (WLS at the time in chicago), along with the FM stations. i would say they were all “hits” to one degree or another (although oh daddy was more on FM). except for songbird, which never gained traction but there was actually a fairly minor push to get that airtime too, on FM rock stations. i’ve never really seen that with any album since although a few have come close (cough - thriller - cough)

2 Likes

I caught Fleetwood Mac performing during their Rumours tour and it was a really good show. They had Bob Welch (formally of Fleetwood Mac) open, and Fleetwood Mac came out 30 minutes ahead of their scheduled time, and played until local ordinances said they had to stop. One of the top 5 shows I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Maybe top 10 thinking on it. Yes, Rammstein, ELO, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Earth Wind and Fire, and Babymetal we’re all better. And the Ramones

1 Like

One I forgot-Pink Floyd-“The Final Cut”…I was in the US Marines overseas near the Middle East when this one came out in the early 80’s. The stories told in the lyrics, I could totally relate to in some small ways. Even though it is more or less Roger Waters solo album, Gilmour did come in and do his guitar playing. I think it should have been an extension of “The Wall” as it is a perfect segue. “The Gunner’s Dream” has some of Roger Waters best writing. The whole album is awesome and being quite short for PF, can be listened to in one sitting without a problem.

3 Likes

Another one I forgot-Jim Carroll Band-Catholic Boy. Just straight ahead garage rock

1 Like

Why is Roger Waters so grumpy though? If he’d have done B2B maybe he’d be happier?

5 Likes

Cause he is a caustic Limey. I don’t mean that in a bad way. I have read that earlier in time, before DSOTM, he was much easier to get along with.

Transverse City-Warren Zevon…so far ahead of it’s time. David Gilmour plays guitar on “Run Straight Down” and puts in a stellar performance! (I think he did it with a Gretsch White Falcon from the looks of the guitar. But it still sounds like David)

What’s the good way to take it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point!

1 Like

I dont turn off my phone since that’s what plays my music :sweat_smile: but i listen to complete albums pretty regularly…Its the main reason i have Apple Music :slightly_smiling_face:

This is some of what ive listened to lately:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
30 - Adele
Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish
Aja - Steely Dan
Blackstar - David Bowie
Super What? - CZARFACE & MF DOOM
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
Several albums from Iron Maiden and ACDC

4 Likes

For me their go-to full listen album is “Spleen and Ideal”:

Also, This Mortal Coil’s “Dreams Made Flesh” is literally Dead Can Dance. I was assuming you knew that though as Lisa Gerrard is unmistakeable :slight_smile: