What’s your favorite bass (if you own more than 1)

Sweetwater had one (a demo) on sale recently. I came REALLY close to grabbing it. Got some other things I’m wanting to do so I put on the brakes.

Glad you got one @akos and hope you continue to enjoy it!

6 Likes

Yes, now I’ve played it for a while, I’d prefer it if it just had the P pickup. To be honest, even if you play the jazz pickup on it, and even select that pickup with the pickup pan control fully onto the jazz pickup, it still sounds too boomy in my opinion. I’m just going to use a pure P or a pure J. I’m sure other people love them, but they’re just not for me.

4 Likes

Yeah those high end Ibanezes are really nice :+1:. What’s your take on the fan-shaped fretboard - does it really make much of a difference?

3 Likes

Oo is that a Steve Harris P-bass I see there?

4 Likes

Hey Ed, the fretboard and neck on the Ibanez are a dream. The frets are polished to glass and the ends perfectly rounded. The fan fret is really a minor ergonomic improvement, but makes reaching easier. Funny thing is I started to play high gain distortion type sounds and the guitar sounds bad. Just realized the active passive switch has a bad ground and now I have to get it fixed… I love this ibanez, not sure I’d order a guitar without playing first again tho.

4 Likes

Eh sorry to hear about the electronics but it definitely looks bad ass :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah, I swapped out the neck to roasted maple neck and pickups and preamp to Delano p pickup and sonar xPure pre. I don’t like the mirror pickguard so I switched out to an anodized aluminum pickguard.

12 Likes

I had an SRMS805, and the fanned fret was super easy to adjust to and felt natural. When I looked down at the neck when playing all the frets looked vertical, so I can see the ergonomics in it, but all the strings had the same tension, the G was under less tension than normal, and the E and B strings more. The B wasn’t floppy at all. From that point of view, it’s a dream to play.

7 Likes

How do you like the Delano’s? I need a pickup for my Jag H and was checking them out last night

5 Likes

Sweet! That is a fine looking instrument.

4 Likes

They are awesome. Very aggressive when you need it to be. Think almost MusicMan sound with the ability to do p bass stuff too.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about going this way. Is that the regular Fender roasted replacement neck? Did you have to cut the string slots in the nut?

4 Likes

Yes I did have to cut more on the nut. It came with shallow groove. It also didn’t come with tuner predrilled.

3 Likes

I have three Peavey Cirrus 4 basses. Two of which are old USA “one of a kind” Custom Shop made. The first one I purchased, the bass on the left, was a new one made in Indonesia model. The middle one, a Birdseye maple, is great but is a bit heavy. The one on the right is my favorite, I paid the least money for it, and it’s also the one that’s worth the most. It is my favorite because it was custom made with a slightly narrower neck and a lighter body. It also has no mother of pearl ”C” on the neck, a rarity for a Cirrus. I confirmed with Peavey it was custom made this way at the request of the original customer. It just fits my small hands the best. Plays like a dream.

24 Likes

That’s a bloody nice collection you have there @rulesman

3 Likes

I love the picture. The three beauties with intertwined stand legs look like a brave chimney guard. I wonder what Bass mysteries are hidden there.

5 Likes

The Cirrus ticks a lot of boxes for me. I really like modern active basses with double humbuckers.

4 Likes

Now that I have installed the Zero Fret on my ESP (Frank Bello signature), and filed the nut to BEAD, she is now my favorite bass.
I like the Hofner, but the neck dive is troublesome. She does sound great though, I just have to keep fighting the neck while I’m playing.
The acoustic / electric I recently acquired is just taking up space on my guitar stand. I don’t enjoy playing it, and I’m not sure I’ll even keep it.
Yeah, the ESP is definitely my go to. She helps me forget how much I regret selling my Yammie BB735.

14 Likes

Nice family portrait @rulesman .

4 Likes

I like that you can get them in white.
I know you can get others in white, but you have to go to the manufacturer or get your sales guy involved, where as with the Delano, you can just get a white one off reverb…

I love the look of white MM pick ups

1 Like