What song are you currently/next "working on"?

Good job @groaner ! Can’t add any more to what @John_E mentioned.
:+1:

3 Likes

It’s hard to see whether you are reading some of it off charts on a screen, but what usually helps me in being able to focus more on timing and phrasing is to learn the entire song by heart :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Jerry!

1 Like

I did have the music up on a screen but more as a prompt. I did know what to play, but only just…
Thanks!

2 Likes

If you’re not dancing when you play the bass, are you really playing the bass?

6 Likes

TRUE!

1 Like

If I start dancing while I’m playing the bass, it doesn’t take long before I’m no longer playing the bass… My brain can’t handle doing both at the same time :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

A little bit off topic, but I’ve got tons of respect for bands like Rammstein and Babymetal. Big stages, light shows, pyro, moving parts on the stages, choreo - if you stand in the wrong spot in either band at the wrong time you will get toasted. With all these distractions and things to pay attention to they can still perform the music. And dance while doing it. In an arena.

Mad respect to these guys.

4 Likes

I can’t even tap my foot at the same time :joy:

3 Likes

Yep, as poor James Hetfield discovered 30 years ago when he got confused about where the pyrotechnics were on stage :confused:

I’m glad I can’t sing, because I can’t sing and play/learn bass at the same time. I completely lose where I am if I try to sing.

3 Likes

I’m still attempting Time Stand Still by Rush but have also been working on Tom Sawyer, which, at the risk of sounding like a complete and utter full-of-myself newbie wanker, isn’t as difficult as I feared. I instantly equate people like Geddy Lee with impossible basslines. But the first part of the song, before the lengthy pause and the doo-de-doo-de-doo-doo synth bit isn’t as tricky as I thought. The middle bit is a challenge in terms of speed but the shape is one that’s not hard to remember.

4 Likes

This is encouraging. As a RUSHhead myself, I look forward to when I can lay down some Geddy.

4 Likes

The opening bits of Tom Sawyer are slower, as is the outro (same four notes repeated), so you can feel like hell yeahhh I can play (some) Rush! :laughing:

5 Likes

This week is Back To My Roots

1 Like

Since I think a month now I am working on White Zombie - Thunderkiss '69.
And I am quite happy with the progress, every time I seem to be able to play it better.
Still trouble with the bass part underneath the solo, but it feels like I will be able to get it right some day if I just keep at it. And muting in some parts still needs some work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbBTuBtHSsk

5 Likes

would like to do No Particular Place to Go… but shit is fast. Also maybe a Blink 182.

1 Like

With my Gretsch short scale tuned down, I’m ready for some Alice In Chains. Started with an easy one.

The bass part of Nutshell leaves a lot of space, but it’s fun because it has a couple of runs repeated throughout the song.

https://youtu.be/BZuahGr5tLM

1 Like
5 Likes

Oh, man, that brings back memories… haven’t heard this song in close to… 40 years :open_mouth:

1 Like

Another Specials song! I’m still working on Ghost Town:

5 Likes