What was the first song you learned on bass all the way through?

use a pick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

don’t you dare. :rofl:

Joking, but if you want to get better at the gallop, there are some great right hand plucking exercises over at Low-End University that focus on picking and raking alternating and the fingers and staying on same fingers, and double raking to single plucks and such.

I can try to see if I can print off some copies of the worksheets, not sure they make a great deal of sense without the video lesson.

Might just pay the $19 a month and go thru the technique lessons he has, they are very good, and have helped me do things that I never would hvae been able to as easily as I learned to do it. it was because the exercises, I was like Hmmm. ok, this is like that exercise, and bam, learning time was short.
If that makes any sense.

3 Likes

@Mac
That’s the problem, when the “wrong” band inspires you to take up the bass :smiley:

3 Likes

@howard
“use a pick :slight_smile:

All well and good, but what if your I+M fingers are faster than your pick?

3 Likes

Sure, but that’s only true if your last name is Butler, Wolstenholme, or Dart :slight_smile:

2 Likes

or Harris, how can you leave that off there.
Or Trujillo or Bello, etc…

3 Likes

Harris, yeah. The rest, nah, pretty sure they could pick faster :slight_smile:

Entwhistle is another one, but only for his weird 4-finger hammering thing. Which I totally did not mean to sound dirty, I swear, he literally had a 4-finger hammering style :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Boh is pretty darn fast with his fingers

3 Likes

You get back by the bridge, it’s pretty amazing how fast you can pick.

3 Likes

AJR Bang…it real easy and everyone instantly recognizes your playing the number 1 song on the charts…

1 Like

First song all the way through was She by KISS. I have loved this bass line for ages, and it was so rewarding to be able to play it all the way through (thanks to Josh and Constantine!).
Second up was Silly Love Songs by Wings…the bass line is really fun to play. Again thanks to Constantine for his great YouTube bass covers.

6 Likes

i agree @John_E,
i have used Con’s stuff for a couple of mine, his transcriptions are really good. :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd about a week ago for the 50 song challenge. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey Joe - Hendrix :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Rock n’ Roll Queen - The Subways

6 Likes

So, I’ve been working like (slightly) mad on Iron Maiden’s Fear of the Dark.

And then by chance and out of the blue, I did a full and mistake free (well, no missed notes, it was still pretty horible :D) playthrough on House of the Rising sun because of lesson 66…

5 Likes

Also Another brick on the wall when the challenge started

3 Likes

My first all the way through was Californication Red Hot Chilli Peppers not too long ago… Theres a tricky bit I still practice.

6 Likes

I had commented last September Sunshine of your Love was the first song I learned, but in retrospect, I have to admit I never actually learned to play it “well”.
Therefore I’m revising my answer to “Still got the Blues”, which I recorded in October 2020 and was my first video cover to post in the Post your Covers thread.

6 Likes

Salad Days by Minor Threat

4 Likes