What's everyone's favorite song to play?

I learned most of what I can play on Rocksmith too, so, arguably some games can be educational, and not a complete waste of time? :man_shrugging::smile:

5 Likes

@howard, ive often wondered about the line between creativity and mental illness. Is this something You’ve thought on? If it is, id really like to hear your one paragraph take on it.

1 Like

I have no real take on this, except maybe noting a slight correlation of “big name” producers and engineers with perhaps a bit of what is currently described as being “on the spectrum”.

1 Like

And that’s good enough. Thank you, @howard !

2 Likes

I love my ghost recon but seriously what’s with the online only even for the single player play. I had my eyes on the PS4 then the PS5 so I can play the Uncharted but it does take a long time to play.

3 Likes

I’m stuck in the past playing Gears of War on the Xbox 360 ! I might splash out one day on the Xbox 1 just so I can get the final two games of the series

1 Like

I like gears of war too. I really like the tactical shooter and you can’t just run and gun on a tactical game so it takes a long time to play a mission properly.

1 Like

I feel a tiny bit like the Rocksmith Ambassador to BassBuzzlandia. You’re right, it’s liek rockband or guitar hero, only it uses real instruments and techniques. There are two flavors now, Rocksmith+ subscription based, and Rocksmith 2014 Remastered legacy version (available for PC, Xbox and Playstation). The killer feature on the legacy version is ~ 50,000 songs available legally for free via customsforge. I feel like maybe I should do a Rocksmith Primer thread? Ideally I could add a video that shows just how impressive it can be as a practice tool. I’ve been using it for 3 years, and I have never actually used the game features - it’s just perpetually in “Learn a Song” mode for me.

1 Like

Thanks @KenKnight does customforged work on Mac?

Customsforge is a website that you can search to find Rocksmith files. Those files are either p.psarc for PC files or m.psarc for Mac files. So if you have a Mac running the Mac version of Rocksmith you can easily search Customsforge to find songs - and it even has filter features so you can find only m.psarc files if you like.

One note: If you want to play rocksmith files/songs, but don’t have Rocksmith or want to get Rocksmith, you can use the program Tonelib Jam. It’s actually more expensive that Rocksmith and doesn’t have any game features - but is an excellent practice tool with all kinds of things that Rocksmith can’t do like display tab or regular music notation, record yourself, etc. One of Tonelib Jam’s killer features is that it can natively read Rocksmith files for Mac and PC, GuitarPro, and many other file formats. More info on this thread.

Full instructions for how to use custom songs (CDLC) are here:

1 Like

Thanks @KenKnight I’ll check it out.

Rush-specifically Tom Sawyer.

I’m not good enough for Iron Maiden yet even though they’re my favorite band. I’ll get there.

2 Likes

I have been leaning towards funk a lot lately. 70’s funk and Kiss (Gene Simmons axe bass was very cool in the late 70’s) is what made me want to play bass guitar.
The song I recently learned may not be funk, it might be early hip hop. Rock Box by Run DMC, not a hard song but it’s really fun for me to play. I play it every time I pick up my guitar.

Every time I pick up a bass, the first thing I do (after checking the tuning, mind you) is to play “Feel Good, Inc”. It’s the first real song I learned on the bass. I’ve become so proficient at it that I can use it to double check the tuning. I consider it a warmup to my warmups. Feel Good is the mental cue to me that it’s time to forget the rest of the world and start playing.

3 Likes

That’s funny. I play the same riff when I pick up the bass to see how it sounds.

1 Like

+1 this is true for me too :+1:

1 Like

I’ve recently been warming up with “red, red, wine” by ub40. Not only does it get me moving around some, it sounds good whatever tempo it gets played-so i can start off really slow and then build speed until i feel ready to play something.

1 Like

Right at the moment- “Perfect Strangers”
I like “The Taxman” as a fun warm up riff
Over all “Time”, finally getting it about right.

My favorite song to play is take the power back by RATM but when I’m test the tune and what not it’s white stripes.

3 Likes

Hey @pinkBassgrl88 haven’t seen you here in a while.