Where are you guys from?

I used to cherish my IBM AT-keyboard. That thing was LOUD!

It did eventually die. :frowning: Youā€™d think this isnā€™t possible ā€“ if youā€™d slam it on a desk, the desk would cleanly break in two. But it justā€¦ died. I was typing, nothing happened.

Iā€™m now addicted to Dell keyboards. Nice tactile feel, not as noisy as the dinosaur IBM keyboard, and they take a lot of abuse too. I have a few spare ones ā€“ every time I clean one (using hot water) I can let it dry out for a week or so.

3 Likes

You should have one of these @juli0r
:grinning:

5 Likes

Probably just a joke but I dislike them. No way to feel with my fingers where they are. I donā€™t know what typing system you use and you may already know that but I really need those markers on f and j.

But the optimus keyboards are fun with OLED display build into the keys so you can display on them whatever you like.

As was said: Iā€™m such a nerd :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @Graphics1988,
Born in Melbourne Australia, and still live here
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

@juli0r I know what you are talking about. I just recently bought a UniComp ā€œbuckling springā€ mechanical keyboard - a clone of the old IBM AT style keyboards (Model F?). Iā€™m a real nit about keyboards - just like neck feel and string action on basses. I rather dislike most modern keyboards, but thatā€™s probably because I am in my 50ā€™s. I like a keyboard with action; just not a enough key travel on the new keyboards (last 10 or 15 years)ā€¦

3 Likes

Ok so @juli0r probably knows this but for everyone else, thereā€™s a subculture of people devoted to old school mechanical switch keyboards. Because they are much better.

There are two classic keyboards from way back that are considered the gold standard for these - the IBM Model M, and the Apple Extended Keyboard II. Both are considered among the best keyboards of all time and neither have been produced in a really long time.

IBM used a proprietary switch manufactured by them or LexMark. Apple used ALPS switches. Neither of these are made any more.

A German manufacturer called Cherry now makes a line of switches called Cherry MX that have the same kind of tactile feel as both. Thereā€™s various sub-models denoted by colors - blue are super-tactile with a throwing point you can really feel, red less and more ā€œlinearā€, brown a mix, etc.

I prefer Cherry MX Browns. Blues are good too but people get annoyed :slight_smile:

I dislike keypads and like @juli0r I wear the keycaps off, yet I donā€™t want the full Das Keyboard blank look. So I was happy to find these with MX Browns:

https://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=775

I love those to death.

Another company, Matias, is making Apple Extended Keyboard II clones. They are nearly perfect, the switches arenā€™t quite the same as ALPS were, but they are still good. I also have one of these, and itā€™s amazing:

Love love love.

Ok so Iā€™m a geek.

4 Likes

I had orders there but was diverted to Kadena spent six years there then retired and spent the next 6 in Korea before taking a job in Yokosuka and weā€™ve been here 10 yrs nowā€¦as I approach retirement (again) we are thinking Thailand but the missus still wants to go back to Seoul

4 Likes

Wow, I had literally no idea (but also didnā€™t lose much sleep over it, luckily)! I mean I can notice good ones and bad ones, but I always accepted pretty much whatever I was ā€œgivenā€, more or less the way you have to accept that it rains - very little to do about it.

Also, youā€™d think this was a device that had evolved into a ā€œstable (optimum) stateā€ by now, but apparently they can make crappy ones even after they have already made near perfect onesā€¦ :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Hello Yaā€™ll,

Tegucigalpa, Hondurasā€¦ but now US citizen living in San Antonio, TX, US.

6 Likes

Born in North Hollywood in Los Angeles County, California.
Moved down to Orange County at 6months old.
Grew Up in Fountain Valley, ( put on the map in Sublime song ā€œApril 21stā€, listen to the end when they are saying ā€œRiots on the streets ofā€¦ā€
ā€œā€¦Cleveland Ohio, Fountain Valley, Bear Mountain, Victorville, Eugene Oregon, Eureka, Californiaā€¦ā€. Something like that)
I have lived all over the map, crossing borders into neighboring Costa Mesa, back to Fountain Valley, back to Costa Mesa, then to Neighboring Huntington Beach, then back to Costa Mesa, then I really made a jump, crossing County Lines just over the border into Corona, (no relation to Covid-19) in Riverside County. Then I made the biggest jump in my like, crossing borders into Neighboring State of Arizona, and lived in Phoenix for 5 years.
I then moved back to Hunting Beach, and have since, recently sort of moved back to Costa Mesa, and am in all reality homeless at the moment, all my stuff is in storage except some clothes, personal items, my Basses, pedals and amps (although a Cab is in storage atm).
I am living in a great two bedroom apartment with one roommate for now, and am coming up with my next plan, will be getting a place which should be ready when my daughter is out of her place of treatment, and that will either be in Costa Mesa or Huntington Beach, unless work takes me elsewhere, but I doubt very much it will, unless I want it to, but I am not ready to live far from my other two daughters yet, one is only 16, living with her mother in Fountain Valley.
My 21 year old lives close by, with my parents in Irvine, and most likely will stay there while attending UCI to get a bachelors degree for the next couple of years.

9 Likes

@Graphics1988

UK.

Started by growing up in the Midlands (thatā€™s generally all they call it for the middle area. Not amazingly inventive but there you go). Moved down to the south east for about ten years, then back up to the Midlands again (I have no idea why - I was just a kid then. Probably following parents jobs locations). Then I moved to the north west, and now have a place in a little village near the edge of the Peak District and have been here around 14 years or so. I like it here. Relaxed and lots of trees.

7 Likes

You are a man of culture and excellent taste!

3 Likes

I do a lot of work in Yokosuka. I was there this February through March when the team was recalled due to COVID-19. We have three more weeks to complete the project but that time line will depend on when we can return to Japan.

7 Likes

Yeah, currently even permanent residents are not allowed to re-enter the country (at all). Might be a while.

6 Likes

I grew up with both snow and tornados, 30 years of it before I finally moved from my hometown of Chicago and went to Dallas (tornados but no snow, LOL)

8 Likes

I guess Iā€™m not much of a nomadā€¦grew up 45 north or Toronto Canadaā€¦then moved 25min east of Toronto, two daughtersā€¦(19 and 16) and built a place 45 min north east of Toronto. Always seem to stick close to my rootsā€¦not much of a traveller either as I fear flyingā€¦if I can drive it,I will do it.
I had a wild youth of racing karts and cars throughout Canada and USAā€¦hit 23yrs old and tested for Indy ā€¦on the verge of signing a deal with Players Light for a Indy Car rideā€¦then Canada did a non tobacco/alcohol sponsorship allowance to all Motorsports and that ended that. I got fed up and decided to quit (broke my heart and I struggled to watch any form of racing for about 5yrs)ā€¦I ended up opening a graphics/tint company and 31yrs in biz laterā€¦I still plug away and this is why I started music late in lifeā€¦no time. Lol
Adding to the snow talkā€¦I love snow and snowmobiling every winterā€¦I spend time with my dad (he is 72) and rides sleds stillā€¦gotta keep enjoying that as much as we can. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@Krescht - to get the ess-zett, I press and hold the Alt key, and type in 225 on the numeric keypad to get Ɵ .

5 Likes

Alameda (San Francisco Bay Area)

Grew up in Indiana and moved to Los Angeles after school. Lived in Germany for a couple years. Have spent extended periods of time in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris.

Learned to touch type on a mechanical typewriter and I still like to be able to snap and hear the keys. Itā€™s a Logitech G413 with Romer-G keys for me.

9 Likes

This is the typewriter on which I learned to touch typeā€¦ LOL , I still have it 50 years later, although I prefer to type on my computer keyboard these days.

14 Likes

Just returning from a get away to northern Minnesota to our home in north central Illinois.
Fun to see where everyone is at!

11 Likes