Where are you guys from?

I`m from Taiwan

12 Likes

Texas

10 Likes

It is really cool to get some light background on everyone - even better that we come from all parts of the globe and differing upbringings/religions etc etc, and yet i am sure we would ALL get along in a room together as we share this same love/passion. Unity in Music. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for responding ā€“ (I just started Module 4) - i actually retained some of the music theory thus far too! haha

Have a great day

12 Likes

You too!

Everybody have a great day. For you Aussies, and those in Japan and places on the other side of the globe, hope the day is/was good, have a great night.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! We had a similar model and also a super modern one with sculpted keys and very little space between the keys. I would sometimes slip off the flat tops and jam my finger down between the keys on the original style. Taking typing class with speed drills is something Iā€™m really glad I did. Almost everyone who walks past my desk at work makes a comment about typing speed. We never did get an electric typewriter. My first ā€œprinterā€ was a teletype machine connected to an Apple II+. (In case anyone ever wonders why the designators for serial COM ports have tty in their names, itā€™s because serial ports were originally connected to teletype (tty) machines)

5 Likes

I still have an Apple II in my cellar.
My dad wanted to throw it away and I stopped him: ā€œNo! You canā€™t throw it away. I know itā€™s old but by now itā€™s too old to throw away.ā€ - Iā€™ve even seen it displayed in a museum. Okay it was about computers but stillā€¦

6 Likes

I didnā€™t keep the machine, but I did keep the disks with all the programs I wrote. At one point I thought about finding a machine on eBay to run them again for fun. I was really into the EAMON adventure games and would design new adventures for it and modify the engine to expand the command set. I had written a love compatibility program, but I couldnā€™t get anyone in my high school in the 80s to use it. So, I made it more generic and open ended where it would gather information and accumulate information about people (inspired by the LISA). It would then look for other people with similar interests and suggest them as friends. The disks were destroyed in a fire not long ago and along with it my claims of having invented social media, ha!

5 Likes

Back in the 80s I had a game on my computer named ā€œWord Invadersā€ very similar to the old video game in bars etc. ā€œSpace Invadersā€. Instead of aliens dropping bombs, they dropped words which you had to type before they hit you. The words became longer and longer, and dropped faster with each level.
Thatā€™s how I got to typing 80-90 WPM.

6 Likes

I just tried to type lyrics along with the song while in IRC chat as teen.
That and one time I cleaned my keyboard by removing all the keys and then I didnā€™t know how to put them back in. I realized I could pull up a picture but
a) I had fun times trying to write one-letter sentences on my keyboard with the keys
b) I learned the position of the keys by heart after 1 week of ā€œtyping i, while trying to type pā€

5 Likes

Way off topic, think we need a keyboard thread in the lounge maybe??
Lol, that didnā€™t go over so well with the Masks.
I better stay out of it I guess.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone here feels so strongly about computer keyboards :wink:
I was afraid that Iā€™m annoying people with my talk about it here but there seems to be sufficient interest in the topic for a thread. Maybe we could combine it with ā€œhow do you type/learn to type/what keyboard do you useā€?

2 Likes

Not so at all, in fact I like reading about these ultra nerdy things, some that are relics of my past.
I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder that a thread was being hijacked.

No harm, it happens, it usually takes someone outside the conversation to point this out, so I did.

Again, not annoying to me, just there is a better way to keep it going.

5 Likes

lolā€¦its all good. (but ya, thanks @T_dub ) - it was nice getting to know where yaā€™ll are/were from. ā€¦then we got sideswiped by a keyboard. haha - take note, wear a helmet - safety first. :wink:

Feel free to keep posting locations and mini enlightenments if anyone wants too. Im enjoying it.
Thanks everyone - have a great day/night :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Itā€™s partially my fault for posting a photo of my old typewriter. Maybe @JoshFossgreen can move the keyboard posts to a new thread?? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

ā€¦ the what now?

ā€¦

ā€¦ just kidding. I am from the same vintage as 25 pin female RS232 plugs to hook up VT100 terminals to a minicomputer. :laughing:

4 Likes

nah - its totally fine. All good.

4 Likes

A fate that, eventually, all threads must face.

5 Likes

@peterhuppertz, you just made my day!!! :hugs: :smile_cat: :heart_eyes_cat:

4 Likes

ā€¦ wow, that was easy!

(wot did I do?)

4 Likes

You know why, donā€™t play coy :rofl:

4 Likes