Where should the bassist stand relative to the amp?

To add, it isn’t like a “I should trade away my amp for a different one” type of issue, unless you steadfastly specifically wanted to record with the bass amp and use it as a monitor (one or other or both). I did not find much benefit to recording from the amp vs. just DI.

3 Likes

Amp sims in the DAW sound so good at this point there’s no reason to put your amp in the mix unless you have a really esoteric amp.

3 Likes

Yup. We used the Mesa Triple Crown for guitar because it has such a fantastic tone, but that’s a rare case (and a $3.5k amp)

2 Likes

It’s a really good amp nonetheless! Good buy in my opinion :wink:

Well according to the Fender site the current Rumbles still use the same design/schematic as the 500, so I guess the wattage and improved hardware play a part. That said, I’m also a bit sceptical if Fender is showing the correct manuals in support…

2 Likes

Are you aware of any procedure in which I could test it?

1 Like

If the master volume affects the volume of the DI out, then it is wired like (or similar to) what Paul posted.

3 Likes

When recording in Reaper, if I turn the master volume up, the waves get larger in the track.

3 Likes

then yes, it’s wired like Paul said.

Also: I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s a great amp for other reasons, but that is a very very weird choice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Disclaimer: I’m just basing my information on how I interpret the information I find on internet. The best way is to test it yourself to make sure our assumptions are correct. :wink:

I would still suggest that you purchase that BDI21. I think you will find the need for a DI box in the long run (especially for recording) and it’s basically a SansAmp which is considered as one of the best preamps for bass.

3 Likes

/PamPurrs feeling sheepish

+1

3 Likes

It’s on back order and I added myself to the notify list.

3 Likes

Why? It’s not your fault :slight_smile:

And really this is a minor, if very odd, design flaw. Soon it won’t affect you and that combo has lots of other benefits - a super light 2x10 with a 500W head is a great mix.

1 Like

Actually it’s a 115

1 Like

+2. The BDI-21 also adds incredible tone to the bass!

3 Likes

The Rumble 500? Do you have the combo or the detached head? Fender lists the combo as a 2x10.

2 Likes

It’s a Rumble 500 amp head and a 115 cab

1 Like

Ahh, got it. I would have gone with detached head too :+1:

2 Likes

So, if I put this DI box ahead of the amp head, would that be the same as if the amp was wired the way you guys say it should be?

2 Likes

Not quite. You would be cutting the amp completely out of the picture - the DI would be going in to the DAI for recording and the amp would basically become your stage monitor. You would need to unplug the amp from the DAI as well.

The tone in the BDI-21 when active is actually (a lot) better than fender amp tone IMO (especially the overdrive) so you’re not losing anything.

4 Likes