Why so hard to say good-bye? (Considering going from 8 to 4!)

Oh, and for what it’s worth? I really don’t recommend that. Don’t sell on a whim; know that you want to sell a bass for sure before you sell it, and if you sell it, be done with it.

Don’t pull a “me”. It never works out well. :smiley:

5 Likes

Duly noted. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’ve sold a number of basses and the only one I regret selling is a vintage Ibanez SR 600 that I bought on a whim.

Instruments should be played.

5 Likes

It was harder to let go of some instruments than others. One or two I’ve kept for sentimental reasons (like The Beast), others I don’t GAF and it can’t sell soon enough (Stiletto Extreme 4, though it’s the easiest to slap on…)

I guess it is what it is :woman_shrugging:t2:

I pulled my GWB35 off Reverb after putting it up. It’s just so cool-looking and my only fretless…

5 Likes

I dont remember you ever posting pictures of this one.

3 Likes

I certainly did, sir, but there are so many new basses each week, it is easy to miss a few :smile:

I posted a bit on it here:

And here:

4 Likes

Yep. That bass is a real looker. :sunglasses::+1:

If you aren’t trying collect and you aren’t going to play them, then I vote, let them go.

4 Likes

@joergkutter try playing the ones you want to sell, tweak them a bit and find out why you fell in love with them…

I just did. Letting go is not gonna happen anytime soon :joy:

In other news I just bought another used acoustic guitar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

I am about to put my MIM Vintera Dakota Red P up for sale, trying to decide if I sell it as it was stock or upgraded, or offer both. That frees the rack space for the walnut aerodyne. I wont feel bad about getting rid of it, just never gelled with it.

But that was to be the space for the 2 string slide bass being built, so now i have to decide what else goes. That is much harder. I have not come up with an answer yet to this one.

4 Likes

Maybe add 2-3 wall hangers for the basses that you play? Like a podium :trophy:

I recommend the string swing usa walnut. Those look really good on a wall.

2 Likes

My ceilings are too low and all my walls have crap at least half way up them from the floor (shelves, desk, saxes, basses, vinyl, etc). I have a couple hanging in front of shelves (Gretsch and Ubass, but no more room there either.

2 Likes

Indeed, @Paul - but, it has already been a lengthy process of considering, trying to see what I like/liked about them, trying to tweak them (i.e., new, different strings), but I also got some of them when I still had little experience and probably knew much less than now what it is that I like and want, or bought some of them on a bit of a whim, and never really made a strong connection.

They are all good basses (no duds there) and I hate to see them go, but it is time to start parting with a few of them. Now, of course, I have to find someone to wants to buy them from me first :grin:

4 Likes

To me basses are just gear. They come and go. No problem getting rid of anything here cause it generally means something else is replacing it.

5 Likes

On the scale of instrument ownership, with @howard on one end and @Al1885/@John_E on the other, I am closer to Howard in my philosophy about how many basses I own, or want to own.

I’ve never been sentimental about musical instruments. Nor have I sought to own an arsenal for the sake of collecting. I have nothing against collecting, but the practice has never intrigued me. But everyone is a different individual with unique desires.

Similar to what @joergkutter stated, I own some basses that were the ones I bought prior to learning what it is I actually need to achieve my bass playing goals. In my case, I own two short scale basses.

I bought my first shorty when I started B2B. It’s a Sire U5 P/J that is super-easy to play, at a size similar to that of a Strat (actually larger, but noticeably smaller than a 34”). This little guy got me through a lot of lessons, including the dreaded Billie Jean.

My other shorty is a SBMM StingRay. I was actually wanting a Ray 34, but with a Ray 24 narrow nut neck. No dice, so I got the short StingRay instead. I love its trademark MM tone, which is what I bought it for. I also found that its body shape and neck feel were more comfortable for me than the Sire U5.

I have since bought three 34” scale basses, with one being my hands-down, go-to bass, a second one that I like a lot, and a third one that I bought for its tone that I had not previously had in my others.

Bottom line, I will very likely sell two or three of the five basses I currently own, not because I don’t like them, but because I don’t play or need them. All are completely in mint condition and supremely playable. I just don’t need them anymore.

In my musical life, I have sold or given away virtually every instrument I’ve ever bought. To me, they’re tools. Beautiful tools, but tools, nonetheless. YMMV.

6 Likes

Good points, @MikeC - resonates with a lot of my thoughts!

5 Likes

The first two times I went to sell my TRBX I decided not to after playing it. The third time, I realized - this is always going to feel like butter, it’s an amazing bass. But the only time I am playing it is when I consider selling it. That’s when I knew.

I’m also coming to appreciate chonkier necks now a bit more. There’s something… satisfying :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This. It’s when I decide to play the Vintera P. Yup. It’s going.

5 Likes

If it’s not gonna bring in some major coin, why sell it?
Don’t listen to me!

4 Likes
  • space
  • not being played
  • somebody else to enjoy them
  • thought I would like them, but didn’t

:grin:

6 Likes

Entirely valid, @joergkutter.

You own some good instruments, with at least one of them being truly spectacular (cough…Mayones…cough).

3 Likes