Why This Bass Line Effin' Kills It > Roundabout by Yes (+Tab)

How do you get that Chris Squire sizzle? Lemme break down “Roundabout” for you and show how you to level up your own bass lines.

https://youtu.be/TyK4uRHhk2I

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, the playing difficulty on the lesson will be pretty intense, so be prepared for a challenge! You can also just watch for fun and apply the concepts to your own (less insane) bass lines.

Full Roundabout Bass Tab + Sheet Music

Here’s the full, uncensored, Josh-approved sheet music + bass tab for Roundabout, have fun!

Isn’t that crazy that Chris Squire signature Rick’s go for tens of thousands of dollars, even though he said they don’t even sound like his bass? Mind blown. :exploding_head:

21 Likes

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!’
I’ve been a bassist since 1976 and THIS song has always been my elusive unicorn that, for whatever reason, I just COULD NOT play!!! You have given me the map I need to follow to find this unicorn’s lair! I’ll have time during this upcoming dreary Michigan winter week to work on this until I master it!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

7 Likes

Did someone get a Ricky for Christmas? @JoshFossgreen

5 Likes

Great video. Although very out of my reach, songs like this make we want to keep learning and get to higher levels of proficiency.

3 Likes

Chris got me interested in bass. I wore out copies of Fragile, Yes Album, and Yessongs. I don’t think I will ever get to that level.

Roundabout is a great song.

3 Likes

As you work through the B2B course, you get to a point where you no longer feel like you’re just flailing around trying to keep up with Billie Jean. You can hear things like this and think, "got-dang, that bass tone is #goals and:
ND I want that

This face (snort):
Disapproving Meme Girl

Disapproving Meme Girl doesn’t like simple pop songs? They’re good palate cleansers.
(Oh wait it’s the overly complicated bass thing) (goes to get another coffee)

Spaaaccceee - getting hit in the bass :metal:

“It’s fricking mayhem.” Like cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

[Jamerson disapproves] (snort)

It’s fun seeing how much you enjoy this bass line (which is incredible).
You might wanna have a word with your editor, though.
Editors Note lmao

(All the best people I know are dorks :grin:)

8 Likes

Nice new Rick you got there @JoshFossgreen :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s beautiful.

3 Likes

Hey @JoshFossgreen - rick buddies! Whatcha got? Looks like a 4001 amirite?

May I say another fine video by the way. I’m not a major Yes fan myself, but I might give them a go.

3 Likes

Lamentably, the Rick isn’t mine, just borrowed from a musician friend for the video. It was really fun to play and try to cop Chris’ tone, but I didn’t feel very at home on it! Would have to spend more time with one to get comfortable not having my usual plucking hand resting places.

9 Likes

I think I like the Bassbuzz videos that deal with these little nuances in playing, most of all. The idea of ‘ping-ponging’ with the drummer really got me thinking about what a successful bassline that doesn’t simply follow the kick could be. And of course, the tips on getting that awesome scumbag tone without shelling out for a Rickenbacker are always appreciated!

5 Likes

Oh and also this:

lololol

6 Likes

Added to the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide in the Player Profile Section. Even though it’s not really a player profile video, it doesn’t fit, neatly, anywhere else, either.

3 Likes

also new darkglass head?

3 Likes

I’ve always loved watching Yes in videos because Chris was always such a great innovator.

2 Likes

Today in Next-Level Parenting: I went to pick up my daughter from school. As we walked back to the car, she was telling me about something some annoying boy had done. Then she said, “Jamerson disapproves. WTF?”

She already knows the F word, because of all the kids who yell it on the playground. I had told her previously that we would have to discuss proper usage, because if you’re going to use that word you should use it well. She said “OK, but maybe in a couple years. I don’t wanna use that word right now.”

Seems like WTF is an acceptable substitute, though.

(It’s good to have these conversations.)

12 Likes

Hah, excellent!

4 Likes

That’s awesome!
:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s a good thing I wasn’t drinking anything at that moment. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Haha wow that’s amazing. I’m gonna sip some water just so I can spit take.

4 Likes