You can only have one bass, what is it?

Hey @howard what are your thoughts on why Yamaha does not make left a left handed Bass? :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m liking your style @Lanny

2 Likes

No idea. I’m just a fan, not the CEO :rofl:

4 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

It might be a cultural driver. Many countries societies favour the right hand. It’s sometimes a religious thing or other factors.
So Japan is primarily right handed country and maybe it doesn’t make sense to cater to a very small percentage of the domestic market for left handed bassists.
I don’t know the split of domestic vs export for Yamaha.
Anyway Fender makes left handed basses so it’s all good!!

3 Likes

Probably economics, there’s just not enough of a market to sell them for it to be worth bothering.

They used to make lefty bases, they still make lefty guitars. Basses are a small market and left handed people only make up about 10% of the population.

Most instruments don’t have a left version. In a band/orchestra you pretty much want all your instruments on the same side and you’re not going to find many left handed pianos out there… Ringo is left handed but plays a right handed drum kit. Most left handed people will be better off if they learn to play right handed, it opens up a lot more options for them.

You get similar complaints from left eye dominant photographers too.

2 Likes

Every country is a primarily right handed country.

1 Like

Yes but some countries are even more right hand dominant. Japan is one of them.

1 Like

Japan is around 5%, the highest countries are around 13%; all still a small percentage of bass players which makes little economic sense to dedicate a portion of your manufacturing and supply chain to that.

1 Like

I’m agreeing with you @sshoihet
Case for us poor underserved left handed world citizens closed.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that which way you bat in baseball seems to be closely linked to handedness but not the way you shoot in hockey. Canadians shoot mostly left handed, Americans mostly right. This has been attributed to the fact that Canadians usually learn to play hockey at a young age and it makes more sense that when you control the puck with one hand, it’s the right. Americans more commonly learn to play baseball first and carry that “side” over to hockey.

I shoot the puck left, I play baseball and golf right and I’m Canadian :laughing: one of my buddies hit the ball left, cross-handed which is a sight to see! In gym class we were like “what even are you doing???” :joy:

2 Likes

There’s probably enough of a market to be profitible; but they make more money on RH instruments.

Hockey’s a different sport in some ways. It’s beneficial to play your off side. You have a better angle on the net, and higher percentage shots. When skating east/west the puck is better protected.

Right wingers are virtually all left handed shots, left wingers are virtually all right handed shots. Defense, left handed shot defensemen have the advantage on the left side of the ice, and vice versa.

Unlike a bat, the dominent hand goes to the top of the stick. So a right handed person will naturally shoot “lefty”.

BTW, I’m an ESP LTD fan

2 Likes

I have just one bass, an Ibanez Mikro (GSRM20). Has zero slap capabilities, but it plays so easy you can’t stop, and it is so small it fits in my guitar case. No intention of buying anything else, ever. Will upgrade pickups with some EMG PJHZ and setup some tapewound strings later this year, and there ends my bass buying journey.

5 Likes

Gimme some PJ and you can cover anything with it.

4 Likes

True dat!

6 Likes

I love my root beer Mikro. It’s the one I take to work and play during my downtime, which on Saturdays is extensive. It’s good a good sound and it’s very portable.

3 Likes

Definitely a largemouth

3 Likes

Never stop dreaming :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is no right or wrong answer. I have a Yamaha, an Ibanez & an Epiphone and each is different & unique. It will be the one(s) you like for how it sounds, plays, feels & looks, and that’s what counts.

2 Likes

My one bass to rule them all would be a G&L CLF Research L-2000 in natural ash. I think that bass would help me get the chops of Charles Berthoud (and about 100,000 hours practice plus music college)

3 Likes