Zero fret

The two orange ones are MusicMan Ernie Ball
The black one is Sterling Ray 34. if they did that in an orange wash, I would probably buy it now, but the top two, I am not ready to spend $2800 plus tax on a bass right not.

While the orange is nice the natural wood grain makes me ā€¦wellā€¦NOBODY has the sameā€¦ I love the P bass sound but I would really like a Stingray it just rounds out what I want to play and howā€¦My J bass 5er gives me that low B but all things considered I doubt Iā€™ll need it that often the brighter / hotter Stingray would have been a better fit for Bass #2ā€¦but price kind of said noā€¦ Maybe it can be bass #3??? Hello lottery I need a win!!!

2 Likes

Sterlings are really good too. I have three.
I have 2 of the lowest of the line
Sterling Stingray Ray4 and Ray 4HH
I also have an older 2012
Sterling Stingray Ray34

That Ray 34 is a great bass. originally it cost the same as the Ray 34ā€™s today, around $900. In new conditions (which is the condition I got mine in) the few I have found for sale, go for between $1200 and $1400. I got mine for $400. It is very nice, and aside from an upgrade to the electronics, and being made in San Luis Obispo, CA, they are every bit as nice as the MM basses.

I just found another one from around 2014, a Sterling Stingray Ray34ca.
This is similar to the Sterling Stingray Ray24 being sold for $499 today.

The Ray34caā€™s that I have found for comparison are ranging from $899 in fair to good condition up to $1300-$1400 in Excellent to like new condition.
It is being listed at $500. I am going to go up this weekend and see if I can get it for $400, but will probably take it home for the full $500 if it is in great condition. The primary difference between the Ray34 and Ray 34ca is 3band eq vs 2band eq

1 Like

Wow even priceier than I thoughtā€¦that natural wood grain gets me cause no two are alikeā€¦anything you get is nice but once in a while you find one that is super great. I donā€™t know a good P and a good Ray and what more do you need? The five to me is a bit fat in the neck and while playing blind Iā€™m fine but as soon as I look at the neck I get whacked by being off a stringā€¦

2 Likes

Moral of the story is if you want that ray sound and feel, you donā€™t need to hold out for a MM. I am hoping to find a MM for $1000 or less. There was one recently, but sold before I could get to it.

1 Like

My problem is I have many lovesā€¦ one of which is motorcyclesā€¦ I have a little 250 to check out some of the questionable routes and a 1200 to do multi day trips. When I stop and think what I could buy music wise instead of bike wise, I hang my head and cry. When I stop and think what I could buy bike wise rather than music wiseā€¦drum machines, boards B2B, instruments mics etc I wonder whyā€¦ Can somebody please explain to me why lottery winners are always people who donā€™t need it or certain ly couldnā€™t put it to as good a use as I could?

1 Like

They have the extra money, or wherewithal to actually buy tickets?

1 Like

I also want one of those Sterling Stingray SSā€™s. wish they had more color options tho. I would almost certainly go with the white, and that is not much a color I wold choose if it were not the only real option.

I can deal with the 1 K or lessā€¦ but when I have the 1 K they arenā€™t there, when I donā€™t they areā€¦guess I donā€™t want Cali in the oceanā€¦good deals if I can find them thereā€¦ notice to Caliā€¦ I will assemble every bass player in the country to join me at a point to cause Cali to fall off shore by bass rumble ā€¦at least 26 miles unless I can get a super smoking deal on a Natural wood grained Stingray ā€¦ you have x hours to comply Times up guess I loseā€¦Oh well

1 Like

Yeah I guess how about just once in their lives they take a dump and water splashes up on their butt?

1 Like

You know colors are cool but a natural wood grainā€¦ there is just something that says ā€œMine Mine, Mine, itā€™s all mine you canā€™t have it cause itā€™s mineā€ You know itā€™s funny but t often the odd colors that nobody wants on the original runs, become the desired color a few years laterā€¦ weird

1 Like

UM, the current line up has a Stingray Ray34 natural wood finish. light wood finish, similar to the black one, but natural wood with clear coat. under $900

I will get a pic

Here you go. $799 on Amazon

1 Like

$79 ! Are you serious ! Shows you how weā€™re getting ripped off over here in Oz . $800 aud here

1 Like

LOL, typo. fixed.

if it were $79, I would buy 10 right now, and ship you over for $179 plus freight.
you can unload for $600 each, so we each profit, do it again and again until we can each get one of those MM beauties.

1 Like

Cool. I donā€™t feel so ripped off now :joy:

1 Like

It depends on what note Iā€™m coming from. If Iā€™m playing a C on the 8th fret of the E string and need to go to a low E for one beat, then itā€™s easier to just lift my finger and play the open E string, rather than hoping over to the 5th fret of the B string and back. However, if Iā€™m playing something like Psycho Killer, which is A A A A A A A E A A etc, Itā€™s easier to just roll my finger for that E and hit the B string. This way my finger never lifts off the strings. Either way works though.

3 Likes

@Mac you havenā€™t posted anything about this product since you ordered it. How do you like it?

4 Likes

Itā€™s still not arrived yet @PamPurrs!
Yesterday it was in Compton in the USA and tracking today says itā€™s left for the next stop.
So today it was like the movie ā€œ Straight outta Comptonā€ :joy:

4 Likes

Good grief! You ordered this like a month ago. Where is it coming from, Pluto?

2 Likes