Bass Transcription Depot

Great idea Pam! I don’t know a way for people to attach .pdfs directly here, uploading them offsite and posting links is probably the only option.

Unless someone wanted to see up an upload zone on their personal site, so people with the link could stick .pdfs, but that’d be some work to maintain and keep spam free!

3 Likes

You can allow the .pdf extension in Discourse but that is up to you Josh. Usually PDF files aren’t that big and I assume Discourse has a max file-size upload restriction.

4 Likes

Thanks @Paul, .pdfs are now allowed as attachments!

Here’s what they’ll look like in a post -
Bach Cello Suite I - Prelude.pdf (75.6 KB)

12 Likes

Holy crap. That is a cool feature. Thanks for implementing that.

4 Likes

I assume that this Up arrow on the ribbon, 7th from the left, that used to be the photo uploader is the way to upload PDF"s ?

C3C177BC-6C69-4561-BAD1-3F35E97F3D58_4_5005_c

Yeah I see it now, but for those that don’t know, that is the way to upload pictures or pdf files.

Very cool, Thanks @JoshFossgreen

3 Likes

Here’s my latest… Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil.

Key of E minor
120 BPM
1/8 notes throughout
4:20

I posted my cover of this song here

It’s a great endurance exercise
Beds are burning.pdf (919.7 KB)

3 Likes

Glad you like the Oils…been a great Oz band for years. I learned a bit of this song…not easy to keep consistent is it?? I think its like 13x for that riff. I use it for a warm up quite often.

3 Likes

It’s one of the toughest covers I’ve done, but I’m proud to have pulled it off.

3 Likes

Bass and piano for “Water Me”. (154.5 KB PDF)

From the album, Cuz I Love You, by Lizzo. Ricky Reed is the bass player. I am mainly interested in the bass line. I just added the piano for context. You can “play” the transcription from the MuseScore web site, but there is a better rendering of it in my SoundCloud account. FWIW, I scored it in MuseScore, exported it as a MIDI file, loaded that into Ableton Live, exported it as a .wav file, then uploaded that to SoundCloud.

3 Likes

Here’s a transcription for “Go” by The Chemical Brothers. Simple but a bit challenging due to the 120bpm tempo and 16th notes. The slide in the 8th measure is probably a synth and not bass guitar, but I included it because it sounds cool played as a double stop on the bass. Similarly, the bass in the “Chorus” after the percussion break sounds like a synth cello, and the “Break (synth)” is definitely a synth bass, but I included them anyway. It’s also available on MuseScore.

4 Likes

Thanks, this should be a fun 16th note exercise.

Used to listen to a lot of Chemical Brothers back in the day… Block Rockin Beats is still one of my favourite songs.

4 Likes

Here’s my first transcription attempt. My wife really likes Olympian by Gene so I thought I’d have a go at learning it for her. It’s obscure enough that I couldn’t find any transcriptions or tabs out there but rather than giving up I decided I should try to work it out. I think the tab might have a few odd choices (I keep changing my mind about bits of it) but the notation is hopefully not too far off.

I think the tempo might actually be half what I show on the transcription with all the notes halved too (and every two bars smooshed together) but I only realised this quite late in the day and couldn’t face rewriting the whole thing given it wouldn’t actually change what I play.

Olympian.pdf (148.2 KB)

4 Likes

I transcribed 49 short, repetitive bass phrases from various artists to both standard notation and tablature as the score, Basso Ostinati.pdf. You can also access it on MuseScore.

It’s mostly rock but has some jazz and reggae. All electric bass except one double bass. You can play it within MuseScore, but the player has problems. For example, it doesn’t play slides or ghost notes, and portamento is played incorrectly. Also, you can’t represent hammer-ons and pull-offs in MuseScore, but they’re rare in this collection.

7 Likes

Thanks for this. Very appreciated. :+1:

2 Likes

How about a shared Google Drive folder?

1 Like

I think you can just attach a file to a post. A pdf should work fine.

1 Like

Seems to I just tried it here.

B2B Teast PDF.pdf (406.9 KB)

2 Likes

Cool

1 Like

Solved a while ago

2 Likes

This is my first transcription of 2023. The bass for Stray Cat Strut was originally played by Lee Rocker on an upright, but it can just as easily be played on bass guitar.
Stray Cat Strut.pdf (404.2 KB)

4 Likes