Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Time for a proper introduction.

Hey all, I’m Albert from SoCal.

I’m a semi retired chef, fortunately my in law and his girlfriend really wants to run a restaurant so I gladly step aside and let them give it a go.

Now I run my daughter’s’ private school cafeteria and have all the excuses to spend more time with them. I have kids late in life, you know career first.

Now I just get involved in school functions and also spend my time playing and upgrading my basses. It keeps me busy and sane.

This is definitely a great place to hangout with like minded people. Thanks to @T_dub for the introduction.

19 Likes

I built it as a P-Bass with all new pieces, with the most expensive being the neck…everything else was $40 or less. The paint is 3 coats of black gloss with 3 coats of Turquoise Waters color changing paint and 3 coats of spray lacquer. The pickups are alnico and the strings are Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s.

15 Likes

Glad to see you in here @garron.abernathy44

7 Likes

Welcome!

7 Likes

Most certainly glad you are here Albert @Al1885.
I have learned a lot from you already, thanks for all the help and advice!

7 Likes

Pleasure is all mine. It’s funny so far we are only a few degrees from each other bass wise so it seems like we have a lot of things in common. I definitely feel less crazy upgrading my basses because on way or another y’all are just as crazy, lol.

8 Likes

Yeah, we are among others here, that is for sure.

7 Likes

I’m not crazy, and the mauve elephant that just cycled past can confirm it.

6 Likes

No Toby, @T_dub ,
your different form the rest, your into orange and stingrays :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
PS: not that is really anything wrong with that :thinking: :thinking:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome @Al1885
I did begin to wonder if you were @T_dub ‘s imaginary friend :wink::joy:

7 Likes

Welcome @Al1885 !

7 Likes

Welcome @garron.abernathy44 !

I feel like I’m sending you through the whole forum, but I’ve got a thread or two that might interest you as a gamer:

7 Likes

Thanks man I’ll check that out :+1:

6 Likes

Wow the finish looks killer on that I can imagine it coming to life under stage lighting , great job :clap:

6 Likes

It’s model paint, so I have to be very careful, even with a lacquer finish, not to bump it into anything or it’ll chip. Oddly enough, the color was the reason why I built it in the first place…going from turquoise to purple in light is a cool effect.

7 Likes

What did you use for the clearcoat?

4 Likes

Spray Lacquer. I asked Terry about it when I took it to him on Tuesday and he said spray was best because a brush would make the coat uneven but he also said polyurethane would have been better.

4 Likes

I was going to suggest spray lacquer clearcoat, yeah. A whole ton (like 5-10) of very thin coats.

Not sure what to do if it is still fragile or chippy after that :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m going to make another one sometime soon, so I’ll see about putting more lacquer on it.

5 Likes

More layers, not necessarily more lacquer.

5 Likes