Post your covers! (2023)

This might have been also from double tracking?
When you take the bass out of some songs the “oomph” is gone and a single bass track just isn’t good enough to replace it. Many times it doesn’t matter but in this “bass forward” tune I felt I needed a beefier low end so doubled it.

2 Likes

I had it off then put it on thinking “if Marcus Miller wanted it there there must be a reason”. The reason is playing further back on the pickups helps for a certain tone. But, this isn’t always what you want. Plucking in front of the cover is way too muddy, however, I’m doing some slap courses and this bass is awesome for slap up and the pickup cover acts as a great guide for your hand/palm to rest or find a “home position”. I think if I feel the need to play at the neck pickup I’ll grab a different bass. This one is meant to have it in for sure.

3 Likes

I think that the pickup cover is a perfect thumb rest for @John_E I was watching him floating the hand up and down and when he got back to the top it rested perfectly.

I like compressor for a few things I’m not sure I’d necessarily want it on my cover all the time. I know you can fine tune the dynamics but going raw audio is easier for me lol.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, it’s really about compression.

I’d like @howard 's opinion about this, but for me it’s about compression.

Sorry if I’ve been too rude, it was not at all the purpose … just trying to make us all progress about music production :sweat_smile:

I’ve never done that but, yeah, if you want, you can do that. It’s all about mixing, you can do that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not at all. I love this feedback. This is what we make covers for (it’s certainly not for the groupies).

6 Likes

Double tracking creates natural Chorus not so much compression or extra bass from my experience as I double track all the time.

4 Likes

Can someone explain how this is done? I assume it’s more than just copying the single track into 2. Do you record it twice and play them simultaneously? Do you copy and modify the initial track? This thread probably isn’t the place, but can someone explain a little about this? Thanks much…

4 Likes

that’s it

4 Likes

Hell yeah! u killed it!

5 Likes

Don’t know the ‘right way’, but here is what I do.
I do one of two things…

1. two audio tracks from my DAI, same input
  2. two audio tracks from my DAI, different inputs

#1 - start with one track, get the gain/compression/etc where I want it, then duplicate the track. This gives more volume, so have to rebalance the gain. In this case, I EQ’ed on track differently and left the other one. Why? Dunno, sounded good in the end, lol

#2 - i run one input from my amp XLR output and another from one of my preamp pedals XLR outputs, esp the B7K which has programmable cab sims etc. The second input only differs in the cab sim, but sometimes makes a big difference.

I just play around until it sounds good.
I suppose one day after doing it enough I will have more rhyme or reason to it.

I don’t do it all the time, only when the AI software takes out too much low end and things don’t sound right (sometimes I ignore this stuff in the challenge songs though, because, well they are not what I am trying to make sound perfect).

The two tracks seem to give the bass more presence and fatness to the low end. I wouldn’t call it chorus @Al1885 - as they are basically identical tracks so no slight differences to create a chorus effect, however, changing one vs. the other enough will surely get you this.

5 Likes

That was so good!! I think this might be my favorite cover you’ve done and that’s saying a lot. Love the tone, groove is really tight, the fact that you can’t tell it’s double tracked shows how tight you kept things, while thickening up for sure. Fantastic start to 2023 @John_E!

5 Likes

Anyway…

Just back from a nice day out in the mountains.
Cup of Tea :white_check_mark:
Lizzo :white_check_mark:
That tone :white_check_mark:
Everything about this cover, fantastic :white_check_mark:

What a way to kick off this years covers thread.

Bitch

7 Likes

to be fair, both tracks were recorded in the same take, so that part ain’t me @dlamson13.
But thanks for the rest man!

3 Likes

funny to talk about that ; I never do more that one bass track, but I work hard about the mix and mastering to make it all fit right.

(not to say that I do “right” or “wrong”, just to say that we can get good results with different methods)

2 Likes

Actually, when I double track I record track one then play it again on track two, the slight variations and timing create a natural chorus effect, you just have to remember to play the same fills, lol.

This was a very popular method of recording back in the days. It was a known secret that Jaco did this to all of his album tracks.

3 Likes

Well, that’s that, lol.

3 Likes

If you’re referring to Norah Jones, she is neither foreign nor obscure.

She was born in New York but grew up in Dallas. She’s sold millions of albums and has won or been nominated for awards all over the world. And her father was Ravi Shankar.

Here’s some of her story.

In 2002, Jones launched her solo music career with the release of Come Away with Me , which was a fusion of jazz with country, blues, folk and pop. It was certified diamond, selling over 27 million copies.[8] The record earned Jones five Grammy Awards, including the Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist.[9]Her subsequent studio albums— Feels Like Home (2004), Not Too Late (2007), and The Fall (2009)—all gained platinum status, selling over a million copies each.[10]They were also generally well received by critics.[11]Jones’s fifth studio album, Little Broken Hearts , was released on April 27, 2012; her sixth, Day Breaks , was released on October 7, 2016.[12] Her seventh studio album, Pick Me Up Off the Floor , was released on June 12, 2020.[13] Jones made her feature film debut as an actress in My Blueberry Nights, which was released in 2007 and was directed by Wong Kar-Wai.
Jones is the daughter of Indian sitarist and composer Ravi Shankar and concert producer Sue Jones, and is the half-sister of fellow musicians Anoushka Shankar and Shubhendra Shankar.

1 Like

In other news @John_E I was playing your cover to my wife on the Ipad. She’s super impressed; but when the song started the dog started nodding her head in time to the bass.

So your cover is Husky approved :paw_prints:

11 Likes

It took me like a week, but I’m finally caught up on this thread. Lot’s of great covers in the last month. Very cool! Hopefully I’ll have time to contribute again soon.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be much more than that, but it is a little more than that :slight_smile:

I do double tracking in one of three ways, from hardest to easiest:

1. Record the line twice in separate tracks. I usually have alternate takes for most of a song so this isn’t too bad, but this is not the method I would recommend.
  2. Copy and paste the track into a separate track, and either detune it a tiny amount, add a little phase delay, or both. This can sound really cool and gets the job done just fine.
  3. Just use a plugin (I like MDoubleTracker) on a single track. This is all I usually do now.

Double tracking is a really easy way to make things sound “bigger” and works great on vocals, bass, and guitar. Synths you usually just build this in to your patch so it is less needed.

4 Likes