Project Basses

Looks fantastic! I’d somehow missed it was a Talman too. Awesome :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, and no nihilists likely peed on it either.

The bass ain’t half bad either!

6 Likes

Wow, doesn’t even look like the same guitar!! Great work @Barney.

6 Likes

Looks great @Barney

5 Likes

Ask me in a few months :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So some of you may know I’ve become pretty big Music Man shill.
I’ve also had idea to create replica of Sabre, cause of availability and price.
However while I prepared money and all, I just couldn’t find proper pickups. so I gave up on that idea. @Al1885 sorry buddy, you have been great help.

Since then I’ve ordered beauty of Buttercream Fender Jazz Bass, cause I’ve sold Squier CV 70s in order to accumulate more $$. Good excuse to get better bass.

Now what I’ve came up with is next thing.
I possess both Ray4 and Ray34. Ray4 is upgraded with AG4M. While feelwise Ray34 is closest thing to real deal, it just doesn’t have the sound of proper Stingray, while Ray4 with Aguilar is pretty close.

So idea is keep upgrading Ray4, sell Ray34. When I sell Ray34, buy MarkBass CMD Mini 121P.

Found a guy who makes 1:1 replicas with best hardware of PreEB '79 Stingray and Sabre bass preamps. Ordered Stingray one yesterday. Has 2 band, treble cut/boost, bass boost, based on LM4250 chip just like original.

@Al1885 You might want to know info about Sabre preamp, has bright switch also. I’ll get back with info on quality once I install this one.
Stingray Preamp
Sabre Preamp

Guy lives in country next to mine, so I’ve communicated all that bothered me easily, we speak same language.

Found a guy in Indonesia who sells legit OEM Sterling by Music Man bridges, like one on Ray34. Also ordered.

I’ll give an update when all is assembled. Next would be tuners, but for now these stock ones hold very nicely.

P.S. Hopefully this will hold until I’m ready to cash out for USA Stingray.

P.S. 2 All of you who want USA Stingray, but don’t wanna spent all those $$, I found out about 90s-early 2000’s Stingray’s made from all American parts, with exception to body and necks which were made in Japan, and also assembled there and sold for that market also.
Search for Stingray EX. Much cheaper option, found many around 1100$, some even say they are superior to same age American Rays. Would have got that, but shipping and customs would add huge chuck of cash onto that price since all of them are located either in Japan or USA, and which would be outta budget I wanted to spend.

5 Likes

Thanks @Growl , it’s great either way buddy. I saw that Sabre preamp but unfortunately that’s a guitar preamp. I did think about putting it on anyways, lol.

I love the ray4, light bright, and affordable, great modding platform. Only one small problem it has narrower neck width. It’s more like SLO or the EBMM sterling than a stingray. I found another great platform, the OLP. Everything is pretty much a replica of the stingray except for the neck plate being 4 bolts but that’s an east fix. I have both 4 string and 5 string that I plan to go nuts modding. I plan a major purging of my basses to make more room and put focus back on the fun of modding.

Congrats on the Fender Jazz, love the color. There are so many awesome mods that you can do and none are wrong. The ultimate built for me would be Fralin pickups cream cover and either passive Fralin preamp or active John East preamp, it’s the plan for my G&L JB.

5 Likes

Oh crap, my bad, didn’t see it’s guitar one. Well, I guess Stingray one with bright switch will do the job also :smiley: I think PreEB Rays/Sabre’s used same preamp. Just like newer models share same preamp.

While I like wider necks, 43’’ can give sometimes more fatigue on fretting hand while playing on first frets for longer period. 40’’ - 41’’ is perfect to me. Like newer P basses. And I dont mind Jazz necks either. They are fast and easy to play. I think it goes well with Ray4’s lightweight body.

When we talk about Fenders, I’m all about passive electronics. That’s why I didnt go for Player Plus. Heard about these Fralin pups for both P’s and J’s. People seem to praise them alot.

5 Likes

True that! There are a bunch of great active preamps for Jazz though. Marcus Miller is definitely a notable one. I have a Fralin on my ‘75 build and it’s a kick a$$ setup. Thanks to @John_E.

4 Likes

Fralin Jazz pickups are insanely good.
That said I really do like the Fender 60s CS Jazz pickups too, I would say about the same quite honestly (at least at this point).
I have the Fralins on basses with rounds and flats, and the Fenders on just flats, and one day will find a bass to try rounds with, so can’t make that call.
Therefore, can only vouch for the Fralins on both types of strings as superb.

4 Likes

I was surprised at how well the Fender CS '62 P pickups held up as well. Seems like a nice inexpensive upgrade.

5 Likes

I’m interested in doing a modded P-bass (finish, pickups, pots, and tuners/bridge if needed). I see almost new inexpensive Squier Classic Vibe P’s on craigslist frequently - do these have potential to be good instruments?

4 Likes

yes. They are built very well

3 Likes

Absolutely! They are fun to mod. Fenders aftermarket components usually fits like Lego pieces. Post any questions here as many of members here have done the mod.

4 Likes

Just to give you an idea of Squier quality, Def Leppards guitarists have just used Squier exclusively to record their latest album.
Even if you’re not a fan of their music it’s still a pretty good indication as to how good Squier products are

4 Likes

That’s cool!

3 Likes

Another idea, among the top 5 of my basses is a Squier I modded. I just happened to own a few more basses than an average bassist, lol.

4 Likes

My modded squier

13 Likes

Niice!!

4 Likes

Same here. My nodded 70s CV jazz is def in my top 5

5 Likes