User Video Index - FAQ

Welcome to the User Video Index - FAQ!

Where you will find answers to all of these GREAT frequently asked questions…

1. What is this?
  2. How does this work?
  3. This sounds hard. Is this hard?
  4. I’m trying to play Bass! Not play forum organizer.
  5. How does this help me?
  6. How does this help the community?
  7. How does this help beginner Bass players?
  8. Does it have to be videos?
  9. Why is this organized… like this?
  10. How can I participate?
  11. How do I keep it updated?
    And…
  12. What else makes this… so… stinking… cool?

1. What is this?

Answer

As the forum has grown there have been a number of different topics inviting users to post their own video or audio of them playing. Some of those topics have grown quite large. To a degree that it has become very difficult to find a specific video.

This index is meant to keep an organized record of all those videos. :grinning::+1:

2. How does this work?

Answer

When you post a video in any topic you also post that link on your personal page here, in the User Video Index category.

The topics, such as Post your covers! or the individual song topics in the 50 Songs Challenge category are used normally. This does not replace posting in those, or any other, topics.

For instance, you would not want to post your cover of House of the Rising Sun on your personal page in this category and expect to get much feedback from the community.

Instead you should post it in Song 7 - “House of the Rising Sun” by The Animals so other users can see it, in context, and provide feedback.

Then you would go to your personal topic in the User Video Index and copy that same link to your personal page.

3. This sounds hard. Is this hard?

Answer

Not at all. Whenever you post a video, you add a few more clicks and a copy-paste and you’re all up to date.

If you want to see what it looks like, click here… @JerryP - User Video Index

4. I’m trying to play BASS! Not play forum organizer.

Answer

I get it. Playing Bass is a lot better than almost anything else. However, this is a community and sometimes it helps for people to get organized to keep a community running smoothly.

:robot: BassBot made a point to inform me this isn’t a question. That’s okay BassBot. We know what they meant.

5. How does this help me?

Answer

It gives you a central reference point for all the videos you post. Regardless of which topic they may have been originally posted in. It’s a single stop for you to review your work and see your progress.

It’s also a centralized place where you can point others for them to witness the depth and breadth of your BadAss-ed-ness.

6. How does this help the community?

Answer

None of us got to where we are, alone. Sometimes we help others and sometimes we need help. This index is a testament to the community we have all worked so hard to build.

As much as it will show the progress and accomplishments of the individual, this collection, when taken in its entirety, shows how far we have come as a community. I think that’s pretty BadAss!

7. How does this help beginner Bass players?

Answer

Most of the people posting their covers on BassBuzz are the same people who have taken the Beginner to BadAss course. If you’re new to BassBuzz and you’re looking to answer the question, “What will all this effort really allow me to achieve?” This Index provides a pretty good answer to that question.

8. Does it have to be videos?

Answer

Nope. Not at all. If you have audio without video, that is perfectly acceptable.

We had to call it something and since most of the music that users post is in video format, that’s where the name landed.

9. Why is this organized… like this?

Answer

It’s organized the way it is, so it will be easy to search.

If you want to find anyone’s videos all you have to do is click on the search function, type in User Video Index and the @Username for the person you’re searching for.

10. How can I participate?

Answer

I’m glad you asked. You can join in by creating your own Topic in this Category following the format below.

1. On the main forum page, click on New Topic .

2. Make the Topic Name: @YourUserName - User Video Index

3. Change the Category from Bass to User Video Index

4. In the Body, add links to all your videos, one per line, or every other line, or use bullet points, or whatever you think looks cool. If you click through some of the existing entries you’ll see a few different formatting ideas.

11. How do I keep it updated?

Answer

You can go back to the Original Post and use the EDIT feature, at any time, to add new links to your videos.

We do ask that when users post a video in another Topic and add it to their User Index personal page, that you edit your Original Post on your personal page to add the new video rather than adding it through using a new post. This probably sounds like a lot but if you look at how others have set up their pages it will make perfect sense.

By having people stick to editing their Original Post it will help their personal page stay organized and it avoids references to two posts showing up for the same video on the main forum page. And… that would be chaos :fearful: and it would confuse people :confused: And people… don’t like being Confused! :angry:

12. What else makes this… so… stinking… cool?

Answer

Since your @username is in the title, if you ever change your username… BOOM! It will auto-magically change to match your new username.

If you go into your profile, there is an option to post a Featured Topic that shows up anytime someone looks at your profile. You can add your @Username - User Video Index topic to your profile. So everybody can find your videos from there also! Whaaaaaat? Now, that is cool. :sunglasses:

My thanks to everyone for your help in doing this. If you have any questions or think of something I’ve missed, leave a comment below.

16 Likes

Thanks again for organizing this @eric.kiser

For me personally, I’m also going to add a creation date for each video, so I can more easily see my progression over time.

I’m also going to add a tag for each of my videos. Things like 50sChallenge, Original, Cover, Improv, etc.

8 Likes

What a project!

@eric.kiser should consider running for President in 2024 . . . :slight_smile: :us:

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Thanks Joe!

@JT Sounds good. Now it’s a game to see who can come up with the coolest formatting. :rofl:

9 Likes

I need Mac users to test out a potential problem with my covers.
I was informed by a Mac user they were unable to get my videos to play. Can the Mac users please test this out?

6 Likes

I just checked, and played three of your videos at random on my iMac, @PamPurrs

They take a few seconds to start, but they work.

HTH and all best,
Joe

7 Likes

I created one but no videos to upload…yet It’s giving me a mental goal to acheive is that alright to have a place marker?

8 Likes

@MonsieurFahrenheit Heck yeah!

6 Likes

I just played three random videos on my MacBook Pro with no problem.

5 Likes

Thank you Joe @Jazzbass19

6 Likes

Thank you @JerryP

5 Likes

5 Likes

I know I came a bit late to this party, but so glad I am in the mix here.
This collection thread and collection is really awesome, because it represents (and will represent) all the B2B’ers as they come up through their bass playing along with their forum pals and see how they all progress.

This is by far the coolest legacy this program and forum will have.
Imagine the songs populated here in 5, 10, 15 years.

5 Likes

I went through and added some upgraded formatting to the FAQ.

Hopefully this will make it easier for people to find what they’re looking for without having to scan through a wall of text.

If you’ve already read the FAQ, nothing significant has changed. A word or two here and there and added a reference to BassBot. Nothing you need to re-read it over.

6 Likes

Thanks Eric!

2 Likes

Is it possible to post the backing track used and transcribed TAB that was used with the videos?

I know how long transcriptions can take and this would help a lot.

3 Likes

There are some legal concerns about doing this and it gets even more complicated when you introduce ‘fair use’ for purposes of instruction. I won’t pretend to understand all of it but it seems like…

If you produce the transcription or the backing track
And you post it here as an example of your work
To be reviewed in a learning/instructional environment
Then it should be fine.

Does that help at all?

4 Likes

I created a thread for that, I think it’s called Score Repository.

3 Likes

I would have thought that the posted covers would fall into that category.
I guess the cover backing track could be an issue but the transcription should be OK.
I wondered why this was not already being done.
What a WHACKY world eh.
Thank you for your explanation.

2 Likes