Post your covers! (2023)

Anyway…

Just back from a nice day out in the mountains.
Cup of Tea :white_check_mark:
Lizzo :white_check_mark:
That tone :white_check_mark:
Everything about this cover, fantastic :white_check_mark:

What a way to kick off this years covers thread.

Bitch

7 Likes

to be fair, both tracks were recorded in the same take, so that part ain’t me @dlamson13.
But thanks for the rest man!

3 Likes

funny to talk about that ; I never do more that one bass track, but I work hard about the mix and mastering to make it all fit right.

(not to say that I do “right” or “wrong”, just to say that we can get good results with different methods)

2 Likes

Actually, when I double track I record track one then play it again on track two, the slight variations and timing create a natural chorus effect, you just have to remember to play the same fills, lol.

This was a very popular method of recording back in the days. It was a known secret that Jaco did this to all of his album tracks.

3 Likes

Well, that’s that, lol.

3 Likes

If you’re referring to Norah Jones, she is neither foreign nor obscure.

She was born in New York but grew up in Dallas. She’s sold millions of albums and has won or been nominated for awards all over the world. And her father was Ravi Shankar.

Here’s some of her story.

In 2002, Jones launched her solo music career with the release of Come Away with Me , which was a fusion of jazz with country, blues, folk and pop. It was certified diamond, selling over 27 million copies.[8] The record earned Jones five Grammy Awards, including the Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist.[9]Her subsequent studio albums— Feels Like Home (2004), Not Too Late (2007), and The Fall (2009)—all gained platinum status, selling over a million copies each.[10]They were also generally well received by critics.[11]Jones’s fifth studio album, Little Broken Hearts , was released on April 27, 2012; her sixth, Day Breaks , was released on October 7, 2016.[12] Her seventh studio album, Pick Me Up Off the Floor , was released on June 12, 2020.[13] Jones made her feature film debut as an actress in My Blueberry Nights, which was released in 2007 and was directed by Wong Kar-Wai.
Jones is the daughter of Indian sitarist and composer Ravi Shankar and concert producer Sue Jones, and is the half-sister of fellow musicians Anoushka Shankar and Shubhendra Shankar.

1 Like

In other news @John_E I was playing your cover to my wife on the Ipad. She’s super impressed; but when the song started the dog started nodding her head in time to the bass.

So your cover is Husky approved :paw_prints:

11 Likes

It took me like a week, but I’m finally caught up on this thread. Lot’s of great covers in the last month. Very cool! Hopefully I’ll have time to contribute again soon.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be much more than that, but it is a little more than that :slight_smile:

I do double tracking in one of three ways, from hardest to easiest:

1. Record the line twice in separate tracks. I usually have alternate takes for most of a song so this isn’t too bad, but this is not the method I would recommend.
  2. Copy and paste the track into a separate track, and either detune it a tiny amount, add a little phase delay, or both. This can sound really cool and gets the job done just fine.
  3. Just use a plugin (I like MDoubleTracker) on a single track. This is all I usually do now.

Double tracking is a really easy way to make things sound “bigger” and works great on vocals, bass, and guitar. Synths you usually just build this in to your patch so it is less needed.

4 Likes

Thanks @MikeC it was a joke, lol. She won almost every Grammy on her first album almost even won the best male vocal, lol.

7 Likes

Just saw this, I’ll give it a listen in a bit!

edit:

Ok. I heard what @terb means there. You notice how the body of the sound is full, rich and loud there, but the “edges” of the notes sound really muted in comparison? It sounds like you’re getting a whole lot of makeup gain there and compressing the peaks of the notes, the transients from the plucking.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and I liked the effect there. I think it actually works well with this style. There’s other things that can cause this effect as well - transient shaping (which I doubt you are doing), potentially a lot of EQ rolling off the highs, etc. You might even be able to accentuate this with soft plucking.

4 Likes

it’s not that, in my opinion. more a heavy compression on the peaks. but I may be wrong. but … not sure :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

yeah, that.

That’s interesting. Actually I did not like that but, yeah, if it’s a choice, it’s totally fine to me :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, agree, that’s what it sounds like to me too. Add in the overall warmth of the tone and the fact that he’s using classic compressors known for their warm tubey character too.

I actually think it fits well with this song but it stood out to me too.

2 Likes

Actually, yes, it sounds very warm (in a “very compressed” way).

Well again if it’s a choice it’s fine. Still a very interesting analysis, I’m glad to have your opinion there @howard . Thank you. In my opinion it’s where we can speak about “too much” production, or too much a good sound. Whatever it means :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Still just my opinion.

I must precise that I’m really searching for the little details there. Hopefully helping to make better music. The cover is still a great one. I take this one as a scolar study, somewhat.

3 Likes

Absolutely. This can happen very easily. A great example is that as bass players we naturally obsess over low end tone, when in reality it is usually terrible for a mix and the best way to avoid mud and preserve the kick is usually to selectively EQ or filter off the bass track below about 40-50Hz. This would drive most bass tone fanatics crazy but it’s simply true, it dramatically improves the mix.

But it totally defeats any obsessive EQ setting on the part of the bass player :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, sure. What you say is exactly why I mix “for the song” rather than “for the bass”. I always try to do an album-ready mix. It’s bass heavy sometimes, but when it is, it’s on purpose :grin:

2 Likes

Alright let’s keep the resolution of posting the covers.

I’ll follow Mr New York with another song played in New York unless the Beacon Theater is not in New York I didn’t googled.

You’ve go a friend live at the Beacon Theater by James Taylor

MusicMan 35th Anniversary’s StingRay

https://youtu.be/mjpmY4f6gks

11 Likes

Very mellow @Al1885 . The Stingray sounds great

3 Likes

Thanks @Mac

2 Likes

@John_E very nice cover of a great Beatles song!

4 Likes