Short Love

Just a gigantic (gigantor) fan, a legendary band.

2 Likes

I have seen them play 4-5 times, but only this last time as headliners.
Every other time was at punk rock festivals with 20-30 bands playing.
It was bice to see them headline a small venue, it really changes it up.

Now the Dwarves, First time I saw them I never really knew their music, but what a fucking show they put on. So I got some albums, but only like 3 of 25 or 30 they have, so I dont know all their stuff but enjoy every bit of it, and live, such a great band with an awesome front man.
They are truely awesome.
And all friendly and approachable beffore and after tge shows.

My one friend didnt know them, and Tom Olavari (sp?) bass player of Queens of the stone age walks in, and my buddy goes, tgats Tom Olavari, and I am like, no, thats Rex Everything, bass player for the Dwarves.

So he goes up to him and asks if he is Tom Olavari, and he says yes, and shakes gands with my friend, and he got a selfie with him after talking with him fir a couple minutes, and he comes back to the table and says, we are both right, he is Tom Olavari but gors bt Rex Everything in the Dwarves, and no longer plays in Queens of the stone age.

I dont know much about queens of the stone age, so thats why I didnt know.

3 Likes

i used to work at the bar with a weird unlikeable guy who always told me he was the dwarves original drummer. forgot his name. he wasn’t bragging, more like he wanted validation. kinda pathetic, actually.

looking at the wiki i think it was andy?

3 Likes

I think they have had more drummers tgen any other musician.

Blag Dalia on vocals
Rex Everything on Bass
Forget the guitar player, but youtube videoa going back year by year he is pretty nuch the same.

Tge 2nd guitar player (bot at every show) is called " he who has not been named" or something like that.

He is the guy that wears leather G string and a black leather gimp full head mask, with a chain around his neck, which they will use as a stage gimmick to lead him by chains to his spot on stage tgen lock down the chains ( with plenty of lead) to bolts in a make shift floor board.

That guy changes betwen about 3 guys from what I can tell by hair color, and length, how tall each guys and more or less and what tattoos they have.

I have talked to the singer, bassist and plain clothed guitarist for several minutes eack, talking about the set, them saying, try and come tomorrow, it will be a whole new set, every song different except tgeir two classics that have to be played every night.
“We are tge Sluts of the U.S.A.”
And
“Wake up and get high with me”

From watching their shows, gey are guyys tgat go up and have fun every time. If tgey have fun the crowd has fun.

Reminds me in a way (not musically, cuz the styles are very different, but reminds me a bit of the approach that NOFX takes. Gey go up and have a blast.
Tgey admit they play tgeir songs wrong, and there are fuck ups in every song, and Fat mike cant remember his lyrics many times, but tgey go out and have fun, with a goal tgat if they have fun, tge fans wil too.

I have seen them 2times I think, and I thought they were AWESOME to see live, and watching sets on youtube fron now, to back 30-35 years ago, they were always about doing what tgey want, and having fun, and it shows in their performances.

As does the Dwarves.

NOFX "The Decline, Live at the red rock ampatheater outside Denver, or naybe really Boulder Colorado.

within the past few years.
Canf deny how much fun they are having. Great video. This has a full orchestra playing with them, and the orchestra all look like they are having a blast as well, and very happy to be a part of this sort of history.

The Dearves at a midwest Festival somewhere. Live set, they are just having so much fun.

No egos between members, and team work, and flat out fun for all.

1 Like

Although Harley Benton stuff can be absolutely usable, anyone tempted by their Solid U-Bass should consider this expert review before placing an order (the video is in Spanish BUT with english subtitles): Harley Benton solid U-Bass SB. 🥇🥇 ¡Primera review en YouTube! (🇺🇸ENG🇬🇧 subs) - YouTube

1 Like

So the work on junior (ibby mikro) is finished. I did it mostly because the stock pickups can be quite noisy, but he also looks better in black methinks. Pickups are the geezer emgs, bridge is hipshot type A, tuners are mini gotohs, and some miscellaneous black metal knobs. Nothing like spending more on parts than the bass costs :rofl:

All work done by tommys guitars in chicago who have always treated me right. Sounds great, seems to be dead quiet👍

edit: btw the build was based on this youtube vid (2 parts). he also mentions in the comments that he thinks the hipshot kickass bridge is a better fit, although the type A seems fine to me:

9 Likes

he talks about this in the comments section:

“Hi! I’m preparing a third part of the review demoing another unit of the Ubass and updating conclusions. I can advance that the other one had a better intonation and the nut had quite room to file. It seems I was unlucky. I think dressing the nut and some better strings would give quite a good intonation.”

i would personally feel that i wouldn’t base anything off of those weird rubber strings. some people love them though.

1 Like

The only downside to the rubber strings is the ‘stickiness’ which, can be cured with things like Fast Fret, etc. The bouncy feel is just a bouncy feel. They do give you a tone like no other.

3 Likes

Pricey :grimacing:

https://www.grezguitars.com/mendocinobass

3 Likes

All that money and you still end up with a floating tone-o-matic bridge.

3 Likes

Pickup placement seems strange?

1 Like
4 Likes

hmm for some reason it landed me on The Grez Mendocino the first time (double humbucker with a tone-o-matic) but the second time on something with a pair of lipstick pups and a more normal bridge.

2 Likes

Yeeeahh that was me, fixed link :grin:

3 Likes

ahh :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure that I understand the logic behind a $3200 custom bass that people are going to look at and ask, “Oh, is that a Danelectro?” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

“There’s an ass for every seat” - my mom.

2 Likes

NGL, “eww Danelectro” was my first reaction.

The ironic thing is those Danelectros sound amazing. And it’s not like I am one to point fingers at unusual looking basses - that would be one hell of a glass house :rofl:

I usually prefer them. Just not in the Danelectro case, oddly enough.

3 Likes

Howard, I wonder how the lovechild would look from a Danelectro and Bongo

3 Likes

You’re gonna have to get the Bongo really really drunk…

6 Likes